Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's the what. How about the who?
PowerFlex Systems is a registered LLC located in California, so that question is easily answered. Also, one of the photos above shows someone holding up a sign thanking George for providing the chademo adapter.

This really has huge potential when you think about the migration from ICE to EV that will take place over the next decade.

Reactions: Roadster
Card swipe is not necessary. Most likely the chademo was not fully inserted into the tesla adapter. Can you try again next time?

Gave it another try yesterday and the problem was that I didn't realize that I had to initiate the charge from the screen then press the start button. Previously there was a car using the adjacent charger and I believe the screen displayed something other than the start screen I saw yesterday. Either way, it worked perfectly.

And what a fast charge! Almost supercharger speeds!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: KJD
Successfully tested the new DCFC station with QCP's JdeMO system and everything worked exactly as expected. HUGE thx again to @MITE46 for adding this unit to what is an already impressive array of EVSEs at this location and to @TonyWilliams for the tireless hours of R&D to bring CHadeMO charging to an aging "fleet" of vehicles running first gen Tesla hardware.
View attachment 234047
For local MS/MX/M☰ owners in the SGV, as shown in the previous photos, @MITE46 has also kindly supplied a CHadeMO adapter for you (rightfully tethered). While I was charging this morning, I had the added pleasure of meeting @Elon'sCousin who was there to charge his MS so we're documenting its condition below so we can see how long it lasts looking like this ;)
View attachment 234053

Roadster, have you noticed that the Caltech charging station is no longer the largest station in California? South Coast AQMD has 75 level 2 chargers and two Chademo chargers. All you need is a Greenlots membership to charge for free on the level 2 chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Follow-up question: I was charging over the weekend after arriving when there was a car there that was plugged in but not charging. The owner came back and angrily accused me of turning her charge off, which of course was nonsense. I let her have the charger and came back later. While monitoring the charge on my car I noticed that it turned off after about an hour. Does the charger automatically stop after an hour or some predetermined time, or is there any other circumstances it stops on it's own?

Card swipe is not necessary. Most likely the chademo was not fully inserted into the tesla adapter. Can you try again next time?

We don't have a time limit, but there might be a 1 hour default from the manufacturer...I'll have to see.

Follow-up question: I was charging over the weekend after arriving when there was a car there that was plugged in but not charging. The owner came back and angrily accused me of turning her charge off, which of course was nonsense. I let her have the charger and came back later. While monitoring the charge on my car I noticed that it turned off after about an hour. Does the charger automatically stop after an hour or some predetermined time, or is there any other circumstances it stops on it's own?

I actually tested it and the charger does in fact stop at one hour. I've confirmed it twice. It may not be exactly one hour, but both times the charge stopped at about one hour, and the second time I confirmed there was no one there to manually shut it off.

We don't have a time limit, but there might be a 1 hour default from the manufacturer...I'll have to see.

I charged yesterday morning and didn't notice a 1 hour limit. Purposely charged just over 60 mins to see if there was.

I actually tested it and the charger does in fact stop at one hour. I've confirmed it twice. It may not be exactly one hour, but both times the charge stopped at about one hour, and the second time I confirmed there was no one there to manually shut it off.

1 hour is the default set by the manufacturer, but then we asked them to override that to make it unlimited. Is this recently that you tested this?

We're looking to add 150kW stations, so I guess soon you won't even have to wait 1 hour.

1 hour is the default set by the manufacturer, but then we asked them to override that to make it unlimited. Is this recently that you tested this?

We're looking to add 150kW stations, so I guess soon you won't even have to wait 1 hour.
I saw a photo of a BTC charger running at 130 amps. Have you asked if this is an available upgrade for all of their 50kW stations, or does it require something major upgraded inside? I would like it very much if these stations that were limited to 100 amps could actually deliver 50kW to cars with 350V packs.

I don't remember the exact day, but within the past month.

I actually like the 1 hour limit, as there's only one so that makes it more likely to be available.

PS, 150kw would be awesome. can't wait to see that.

I saw a photo of a BTC charger running at 130 amps. Have you asked if this is an available upgrade for all of their 50kW stations, or does it require something major upgraded inside? I would like it very much if these stations that were limited to 100 amps could actually deliver 50kW to cars with 350V packs.

No hardware upgrades needed. Just overclock it :)

150kw will be multi dispenser. Adaptive load balancing.

• Funny
Reactions: miimura and MP3Mike
As Tesla has shown, load balancing that much power is the only sensible way to do it. I'm glad other charger manufacturers are not so blinded by NIH and are willing to implement it.

Only when they don't power limit. Supercharging speeds have been horrendous lately. I'm not sure I buy the fear of battery degradation part. There's too much time spent at 70kw speeds when it should be over 100kw.

We need convince delta to make a 150kw ccs to tesla adapter. :)

:mad: RANT :mad:

Been noticing more and more of this; particularly near the DCFC unit. Pathetic and lazy. Food & drink containers, candy wrappers, cigarette butts everywhere. Hoping these items don't belong to anyone here. Guessing people just can be bothered to dispose of their own garbage when they're getting exceptional EVSE management and power for free.
:(
IMG_4452.jpg IMG_4454.jpg :eek:IMG_4451.jpg IMG_4450.jpg :confused:

Reactions: BrokerDon