Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Caltech update, daily EVs have been increasing! So to satisfy the demand, we've added another 22 stations this week.

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG

I finally got around to trying the CHAdeMO at Los Altos High School installed by @MITE46 's crew. It is a BTC dual standard machine that is used a lot by EVgo, who runs them at 100 amps max. This unit installed by Powerflex Systems however, seems to run full blast with 50kW from the grid side, passing everything it can to the vehicle. My RAV4 EV with JdeMO started out at about 65% SOC drawing 123 or 124 amps at 360VDC. It continued to charge at approximately constant power to about 83% SOC when it was drawing 117 amps at 379VDC. That's is where the RAV's Tesla pack starts to taper. By 85% it had dropped to 100 amps, where I stopped the session. Very impressive use of the hardware. I wish EVgo would run their BTC chargers like this.

LAHS Charger Overview.jpg

Last edited:
It is a BTC dual standard machine that is used a lot by EVgo, who runs them at 100 amps max. This unit installed by Powerflex Systems however, seems to run full blast with 50kW from the grid side, passing everything it can to the vehicle....
I wish EVgo would run their BTC chargers like this.
EVgo does run some of their BTC chargers at 125-130A. They seem to have an upgrade program going on but I’m not sure of the status of rolling it out. Some EVgo BTC stations have been doing ~125A for at least a year.

Here’s a photo I took at a BTC EVgo Charger in California almost exactly one year ago:

6A8C410A-06D8-42E3-982A-5A902655647C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
EVgo does run some of their BTC chargers at 125-130A. They seem to have an upgrade program going on but I’m not sure of the status of rolling it out. Some EVgo BTC stations have been doing ~125A for at least a year.

Here’s a photo I took at a BTC EVgo Charger in California almost exactly one year ago:
I remember you posting that before, but I never hear about it anywhere else. Not much of a roll out if you ask me. The only good thing about EVgo is that their promotional pricing is still going on even though it was only supposed to run March-June this year. Strangely, some EVgo sites with one CHAdeMO only charger and one dual-standard charger had the CHAdeMO priced FREE when I looked today. I happened to notice it in the EVgo app for Petaluma, San Rafael, Salinas, and Nob Hill Watsonville. Weird.

EVgo Free CHAdeMO.jpg

I remember you posting that before, but I never hear about it anywhere else. Not much of a roll out if you ask me.
I’ve noticed upgraded EVgo BTC chargers in a few locations personally and have heard about upgraded BTC chargers on the east coast. I don’t know the overall statistics on how many have been upgraded.

I recently did a trip up to Seattle. Two upgraded locations were the Tacoma Mall in Washington state along I-5 and another location at the 7-11 near Portland Airport in Oregon along I-205. The California location I know about is the right-most charger at the location in Madera along CA-99 (the charger on the left side is still 100A).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Not a fan of the new Powerflex stations. In my Model 3 tests they do not go past 30A and will often disconnect before charge completes.

Also lots of ants! I am tempted to dust the wall with diatomaceous earth because it is relatively harmless and easy to clean but no my property. Have been also picking up trash near the CHAdeMO charger as well.

max speed is 32A, we are still evaluating 48A and 80A hardware, no one has anything cost effective.

We are focused on workplace charging which means increasing station count is more important than max charging speed. We would rather have all 100 EVs plug in and not have employees move their car for the entire work day, instead of fewer, faster stations.

So yes, many of the 80A units are going to be replaced by multiple 32A stations.