Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info.

I was referring to one of @MITE46 reply that they have 30+ deployments in the bay area:

Going well! We've been busy commercializing the technology...we are up to 60+ stations with OpenEVSE, ClipperCreek, and Aerovironment in the mix. Also, we will be diving in to DCFC very soon.

I see you are in Cupertino, we have a couple new 30+ deployments in the bay area coming online this month.

Adding DCFC this weekend...50kW using 100A 480V 3PH tapped on the primary side of the transformer. Will be load balanced sharing 150kW with other L2 stations. Also, adding digital signage for live aggregate stats.

192.168.100.201_01_20170624102041760_TIMING.jpg

Time Lapse Video:

2nd site? Where is the 1st site in the Bay Area?

Also curious, what is the main goal for all these deployments specifically?

Goal of these sites is to provide large scale EV charging at reasonable infrastructure cost to support vehicles like model 3. This one is Mountain View High School, it has been online for 10 days and has delivered 700kWh so far, average 70kWh/day approximately 200 miles/day. This is summer time, we expect usage to quadruple during the school year.

First site is a large apartment complex across the street from Facebook HQ in Menlo Park.

Goal of these sites is to provide large scale EV charging at reasonable infrastructure cost to support vehicles like model 3. This one is Mountain View High School, it has been online for 10 days and has delivered 700kWh so far, average 70kWh/day approximately 200 miles/day. This is summer time, we expect usage to quadruple during the school year.

First site is a large apartment complex across the street from Facebook HQ in Menlo Park.
I bet.. and it's mountain view, no shortage of EVs.. do you also take into account real-time grid emissions?
WattTime API: Home

The Menlo Park location is not open for public I assume? Don't see it on PlugShare.

Goal of these sites is to provide large scale EV charging at reasonable infrastructure cost to support vehicles like model 3. This one is Mountain View High School, it has been online for 10 days and has delivered 700kWh so far, average 70kWh/day approximately 200 miles/day. This is summer time, we expect usage to quadruple during the school year..
You guys rock! I just checked google maps and see all of the solar panels at the school. This is perfect, don't waste that excess solar, charge your EVs during the day. Some day, when the batteries are large enough and the manufacturers let us, we'll plug in at home and discharge some of that excess energy for our 5-9 pm peak use. Thank you for doing this.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just want to make sure I understand what's happening in that chart. The car is tapering as it gets full and the EVSE is lowering the pilot signal after the fact so that the available power can be allocated to other EVSE in the network. Is that right?

Depending on the availability of power the pilot signal may be adjusted every 5 seconds...most of the time you can get full power, but during demand response events or other triggers you might get less. Drivers are notified if their original departure time is delayed drastically (almost never occurs).

This particular site has 144kW of shared power, which is enough for ~20 stations at full speed. Yes, any reduction in pilot signal means more power is given back to the general shared pool. A good example is a first generation leaf that can only do 3.3kW on the 6.6kW charger. The pilot will start out at 6.6kw, and taper quickly to 3.3kw....

example.png

Depending on the availability of power the pilot signal may be adjusted every 5 seconds...most of the time you can get full power, but during demand response events or other triggers you might get less. Drivers are notified if their original departure time is delayed drastically (almost never occurs).
Is there any public documentation on your system? I'm especially curious in learning more about how your demand response system works.