Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Ludicrous a better value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard from Tesla about how long the free ludicrous offer might be good for?
I am tempted. I have an AP 2.0 2016 S90D. Would love the range increase
Downsides for me are the added cost and losing free supercharging

For me, free supercharging seems overrated for many of us
If I go on a trip that requires supercharging the first few hundred miles is covered by my home charge, after that for an average year I might use 1000-2000 miles that require supercharging.,
so maybe 800Kw per year max for me, probably less. Roughly a $200 max value per year for me

Tesla didn't give us a specific end date. I'm gonna guess it'll be good for a month, possibly for a quarter. I'd be surprised if they offer it beyond that this time around.

Of course, it might be back in the future if it works out well, just like free Supercharging. Whatever they need to fill the order books and keep making money.

The "utility" of free Super Charging value is subjective. I travel to see my family on the east cost a couple of times a year. So I will usually drive 2000-3000 miles using the SC network. Thus, it has some value to me. Never the less, it is not a deal breaker to pay about 1/3 the price of gasoline for the network for the same 3000 miles ~$160/year. Conversely, one of my Tesla friends seldom leaves the local area. Therefore, free SC for him has less value. The Long Range S is a fine car with more than sufficient power -- out performing most premium vehicles. Again, Ludicrous or Performance value is Subjective. I intended to order a Performance (non-Ludicrous) models, since I have a Performance X (Insane only). I couldn't justify $20,000 Ludicrous upgrade beyond "Insane" -- believe me, my ego tried. So now I will take the free upgrade.

The Performance model's Ludicrous upgrade is mostly a software change. Additionally, free Super Charging for 5000 miles is merely flipping a bit on your Vin in Fremont. Neither has much cost to Tesla. The enticement may cause a shift in Long Range to Performance -- an upgrade costing $21,000. The bottom line, IMHO, is Tesla ingenuously coupled the power train and suspension refresh with some appealing "eye-candy". It's only a matter of how much candy you need or want. YUM! YUM!

But if some numpty goes and writes off your free supercharging enabled car in, say, a horrendous not-your-fault accident you're lucky to walk away from (because you're in a Tesla of course) it'd really suck to then have to buy another one without it.

Would Tesla honour a transfer then I wonder?

Hey guess whose free supercharging Model X got written off literally today in a not-our-fault accident that we were lucky to walk away from because we were in a Tesla. (Actually just my wife was in the car, not me, but she’s OK)

Placed an order for a ludicrous Model X just today, guess I’ll find out the answer to this one for you but I’m not holding my breath.