Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

munque

Mar 21, 2018
usa
I have model 3 performance 2008 with free supercharging.

I have read that if I sell car, it does not transfer.

I want to sell the car to a friend but don’t want to lose the free perks. Allow him to make payments over three years but not sure how it works.

Don’t want to just let him “Borrow” due to liability and insurance issues.

Can I lease him the car and have free perks transfer? I believe Virginia would require me to register with DMV

How does Tesla know if car is sold? Can I just make a new account and add him?
And then just sell the car?

I like to try to participate (respectfully) as a regular poster, but I am increasingly reminded of why most of the other moderators participate much much less in regular posting than I do.

I didnt think I was being disrespectful, but if I was, I am sorry about that.
I wasn't taking it was moderation - and my comment was totally tongue in cheek - I understood I messed up =-

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Upvote 0
US auto manufacturers have legal obligations to have available service parts for emissions systems and parts to support recalls. Otherwise, service parts are available to support dealer service departments as long as it is profitable to do so.
I worked for the service and parts division for Chrysler (DaimlerChrysler, FCA, Stellantis…) for 15 years.

Upvote 0
All of the automotive suppliers I know are bound by this. Law or law of the land does not matter.
If Tesla or any car company walks away from support of there cars, they will not be in business long.
This is a big risk in startups. I may do a bit of googleing myself.
Right. No doubt people might stop buying from a company that cannot support older cars for a reasonable time. But I know of no laws and as such reasonable isn’t defined.

Now in this case, with free lifetime supercharging I’m sure it will be pushed to the limit. Interesting where it ends up. At some point they will probably wish they had some cap on it.

Upvote 0
US auto manufacturers have legal obligations to have available service parts for emissions systems and parts to support recalls. Otherwise, service parts are available to support dealer service departments as long as it is profitable to do so.
I worked for the service and parts division for Chrysler (DaimlerChrysler, FCA, Stellantis…) for 15 years.
That's what I found in my searches, but they do not apply to any of the other parts that are not part of emissions equipment and recalls, even though people keep bring up this myth in regards to EVs.

Upvote 0
Also interesting

March 15 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has been sued in a pair of proposed antitrust class actions accusing the company of unlawfully curbing competition for maintenance and replacement parts for its electric vehicles, forcing owners to pay more and wait longer for repair services.

The lawsuits, filed on Tuesday and Wednesday in federal court in San Francisco, allege that Tesla designed its electric vehicles, warranties and repair policies to discourage owners and lessees from using independent shops outside of Tesla's control.

Upvote 0
Right after the end of that quarter (third quarter 2018) the free supercharging promotion ended, and the price of the car effectively became cheaper because the "performance upgrade package" was no longer a 5k add on, but was included in the price of the car.
Wrong, PUP was discounted 4 weeks after Q3 and free supercharging promo ended. I know because I purchased a Model 3 Performance inside those 4 weeks and was given the 5k refund.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Wrong, PUP was discounted 4 weeks after Q3 and free supercharging promo ended. I know because I purchased a Model 3 Performance inside those 4 weeks and was given the 5k refund.

Both of those events occurred before I purchased my own model 3 so I did not have first hand accounts of the specific times. Appreciate the additional detail.

Upvote 0
Apple, John Deere, and many other companies have had lawsuits brought against them for similar reasons.
Also interesting

March 15 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has been sued in a pair of proposed antitrust class actions accusing the company of unlawfully curbing competition for maintenance and replacement parts for its electric vehicles, forcing owners to pay more and wait longer for repair services.

The lawsuits, filed on Tuesday and Wednesday in federal court in San Francisco, allege that Tesla designed its electric vehicles, warranties and repair policies to discourage owners and lessees from using independent shops outside of Tesla's control.

Upvote 0