Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Tire Patch @ Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So had a problem with my tire for a few weeks, it kept leaking air. I didn't really check what happened, but the screen informed me tire pressure was too low and I would have to refill it with air about every few days.

So took it to Costco first to ask if they could patch it. Guy was like "ohh, the nail is too deep or you drove on the nail too long, so it may not be possible but we could check." I guess he checked and said they will not patch the tire, and the only service they would offer is to replace the tire for $250-300. Then told me they didn't have the tire I needed and had to go to a different Costco.

But then my mom told me to just take it to Telsa Service and see what they offer. Went to Tesla service in Costa Mesa CA to tell them about the tire and see if patching was possible. They said they would check it out, stating it will cost $80 to patch. Then I was like unsure, I didn't negotiate anything, I was just like disapproving a simple tire patch was $80, telling him I got a tire patched in Las Vegas for $20-30. Then after a few minutes, he said he will patch the tire for free if it was possible. And if it wasn't possible, a new tire would cost just under $300.

Thankfully, he went the route I wanted, to just patch the tire, and not try squeeze more money outta me. And he did it for free, since I'm a Tesla customer who bought a Tesla. I was so amazed an official car dealership service center actually tried to find the cheapest way to do it, and do it for no charge. If I went to BMW, they are very unlikely to do any simple service for free. I mean if he said I needed a new tire, I probably just take his word for it and pay the $300.

This free service is just another perk of being a Tesla owner, they seem to try to find the cheapest option rather than trying to be opportunist. It's hard to find a car repair shop that you can simply take their word for it, I feel if they know you're just an average consumer who knows nothing about cars, they will prey on that and just say something is wrong with your car just so you will fear of your car breaking down even worse if you don't fork over a few hundred bucks for "simple repair".

But yeah, why would the Tesla advisor be like, tire patching is $80. Then I tell him I got it for $20 in Las Vegas, then was like, okay I'll try my best to do it for free if the option is available. Should I just go to the Tesla service center, are they less likely to wanna find ways to get me to buy services I may not need? Hopefully if all my services are reasonable and not hustled on me, I feel I may wanna continue only buying Tesla. Because Mercedes and BMW, they hustle the *sugar* outta you on services.

...why...

Congratulations on the free tire patch!

1) Not all Tesla Service Centers are willing to patch your tire even when you offer them lots of money. It's not about money but because some have a strict policy of tire replacement and not repairs.

2) $80 for tire patching for Tesla is reasonable because its minimum hourly labor rate is not under $100.

As I recall BMW has a policy to not patch any tire, so you're right, the dealer will soak you. Nice they did it for free. For future reference, Discount Tire will also patch for free.

I see why would Discount Tires patch for free? I guess I'll remember that instead of holding off next time I have a tire problem.

It seems like so many auto repair shops try so hard to avoid patching tires? And try to get you to buy a new tire. Maybe they will tell you its safer, or they simply refuse to patch it. It's like when I want to try a simple fix, auto repair shops are trying so hard to get me to buy a new tire, even though it will be environmentally friendly to keep using the current tire and get the most value out of it. So is it BMW's policiy in the interest to sell a new tire that has more money? Does the service guy get comped for everytime they lie?

But the thing is, I technically was still able to drive my car even with it unpatched, I just had to refill the air every other few days.

Plus what kind of people need to drive with nails? Is it so hard for construction people to keep their nails secure so *sugar* doesn't fall out? I kinda wish these people would be held liable if they get caught with nails falling outta their trucks. They're making it a gamble to go out for a drive or commute.

As I recall BMW has a policy to not patch any tire

They use runflats on all their OEM sets and claim that they're not allowed to patch/plug runflat tires. Not sure if that’s true or not though. Never actually researched it.

Another trick they use is they will tell you that with an AWD car if you replace one tire you have to replace all 4. Again not sure if this is true, but sounds like BS to me.

I think you were able to get it for free because you didn’t have to actually use their roadside service for someone to deliver you a full-sized spare and all that Jazz. I had to pay $80 a few weeks back at Tesla in Oceanside, but for me it was well worth it because I needed the spare tire to drive home 45 miles and I was able to come back the next afternoon for them to patch a hole with a 1.5 inch drywall screw.

If the nail didn’t penetrate or damage the foam lining inside it might have been even easier to patch as well. I’ll keep your story in my back pocket in case I come across another situation like yours ;)

I think you were able to get it for free because you didn’t have to actually use their roadside service for someone to deliver you a full-sized spare and all that Jazz. I had to pay $80 a few weeks back at Tesla in Oceanside, but for me it was well worth it because I needed the spare tire to drive home 45 miles and I was able to come back the next afternoon for them to patch a hole with a 1.5 inch drywall screw.

If the nail didn’t penetrate or damage the foam lining inside it might have been even easier to patch as well. I’ll keep your story in my back pocket in case I come across another situation like yours ;)

Yeah, I guess if they say it will cost $80, just say you paid $20 in Las Vegas to patch it up, and maybe they'll just say they'll do it for free if possible.

I would have been happy to pay $20-40 for a patch at the Tesla dealer, but I'm really happy they did it for free. Just simple stuff like that, I may consider buying a Tesla again if the need comes along. Just because I know I can go buy one without being hustled.

Curious, did you happen to see them remove the tire?
I'm asking as there are two types of patches...the one where you remove the tire and apply the patch on the inside. This is the preferred method but I have no idea if that is even possible in Tesla's with the foam they have on the inside. If possible, I would think they have to remove the foam and re-attach somehow?
The second method is the rubber "worm" type where they simply push a rubber worm through the outside and pull it back out halfway and cut the excess. These are not as reliable but are MUCH cheaper to install as the tire does not have to be removed.

I see why would Discount Tires patch for free? I guess I'll remember that instead of holding off next time I have a tire problem.

It seems like so many auto repair shops try so hard to avoid patching tires? And try to get you to buy a new tire. Maybe they will tell you its safer, or they simply refuse to patch it. It's like when I want to try a simple fix, auto repair shops are trying so hard to get me to buy a new tire, even though it will be environmentally friendly to keep using the current tire and get the most value out of it. So is it BMW's policiy in the interest to sell a new tire that has more money? Does the service guy get comped for everytime they lie?

But the thing is, I technically was still able to drive my car even with it unpatched, I just had to refill the air every other few days.

Plus what kind of people need to drive with nails? Is it so hard for construction people to keep their nails secure so *sugar* doesn't fall out? I kinda wish these people would be held liable if they get caught with nails falling outta their trucks. They're making it a gamble to go out for a drive or commute.

Discount will also rotate your tires for free. Why? Because it barely costs them anything but they want to provide great customer service. Next time you look to buy tires, you'll probably remember the great service your local tire shop provides. Evans Tires does the same too.

When it comes to automotive shops, people tend to stick to one shop they really like.

$80 to patch a tire is ridiculous. Good for you mentioning the $20 patch in Las Vegas. In my experience at our trusted local tire shop in S. California, $20 is the going rate.

FYI...re: patching run flats. We have had run flats patched on our previous BMW 528i, and Porsche 911s and both ran without a problem until the wear indicators signified it was time to replace the tires thousands of miles after the patch.

They use runflats on all their OEM sets and claim that they're not allowed to patch/plug runflat tires. Not sure if that’s true or not though. Never actually researched it.

Another trick they use is they will tell you that with an AWD car if you replace one tire you have to replace all 4. Again not sure if this is true, but sounds like BS to me.
Not all of their models use runflats, but yes a lot do. I believe the no patching policy existed prior to their use of runflats as well.

Regarding patching run flat tires - it depends where the puncture is. if it's in/ near the sidewall, can't be repaired. Costco replaced a brand new tire for me after having it for only like 5 days as it was too close to the side wall. it compromises the tires load bearing capability. if it's in the center part, it can be patched.

Regarding all wheel drive scenario, what i was told and based on some googling, it makes sense, if you lose a tire and the tread depth of existing tires would be more than 2/32nd lower than a new tire, it's best to replace all 4 else the all wheel drive system has to work extra hard to compensate for the difference in the distance each tire covers every rotation and it could cause you transmission issues down the line. so it's best to lose a tire early on than later in tire life!

$80 to patch a tire is ridiculous. Good for you mentioning the $20 patch in Las Vegas. In my experience at our trusted local tire shop in S. California, $20 is the going rate.

FYI...re: patching run flats. We have had run flats patched on our previous BMW 528i, and Porsche 911s and both ran without a problem until the wear indicators signified it was time to replace the tires thousands of miles after the patch.

Yeah, I did a tire patch when I did a trip to Las Vegas. My BMW M3 had a flat tire at the Wynn, called AAA, and took to repair shop few miles off the strip. They patched it for $20. And this was a performance tire, probably lower profile, and a cheap patch worked for an $80k sports car. It was just a ghetto looking repair shop, but I was able to drive back 300 miles back to Orange County without a problem

Reactions: tvad
You can absolutely patch a runflat as long as you haven't driven on it with no air pressure in it. If you have a nail embedded and have a slow leak, its perfectly fine to repair it. The sidewalls get damaged if you lose all pressure and then it's irreparable. A lot of shops just refuse to repair them because they don't know if you drove on it without air in it. It's a liability thing.