Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on a Patched/Plugged Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a serious puncture while on a road trip. Thankfully, the MY's tire sensors allowed me to get to a local mechanic in time before the tire completely ran out of air. I was told that the patch/plug was temporary, which I understood, but the only Tesla Service Center appointment available to me is still one week away. As of right now, the tire seems to be holding up just fine; I check the tire pressure at the beginning and end of each drive.

Am I risking it by driving this car every day, or do these things last for a bit longer than just "getting home" from the patch/plug? I assume things are different with this car's (or any EV) tires specifically, versus ICE cars.

Note: It was my rear tire. Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 - 275/35 ZR 21

^^^agree. The OP's puncture couldn't have been "serious" if he managed to drive on it (how far?) long enough to get to a local mechanic.

A properly plug/patched tire should last as long as a normal tire.

Plug as everyone mentioned is considered temporary, but I installed one DIY and monitored pressure. It lasted the life of the tire. Important thing is to note where the puncture happened. If in the center belt, it is fixable, anything on the shoulders is considered replacement.