TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free Unlimited Super Charging Transfer

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Toddsquad, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

I’m looking at buying an early-mid 2017 MS and supercharging doesn’t transfer to new owner. But Tesla rep in store said new owner can just “take over” previous owners app, changing the email address, and continue having benefits of free supercharging. And not to notify Tesla of the change...Has anyone done this? Would seem like eventually would get caught, like during service. Considering just getting a new S with unlimited charging now that PUP is included in base, less 2500...

2. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Do you have the store and rep's name?

• Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Wut? Sounds like identity theft. :D That would be taking over the owner’s account. So they never want to purchase a Tesla again?

This is why I never listen to Sales or local Service people.

• Like x 1
  4. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

Don’t want to incriminate anyone. It was a store in MA.

5. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

That’s basically what the reps said. Two of them said take over their account.

• Love x 1
  6. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Ok, thanks.

As above Tesla could look at this as fraud and as such could prosecute and reclaim damages against the new owner. I would suggest you ignore their advice.

If you ask it may be that, for a fee, you can activate unlimited supercharging against you and the car if you purchase it.

• Disagree x 1
  7. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

Not following for a fee, I could activate unlimited supercharging? I would still get free 400 kWh per yr I think

8. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

That would be great until you have to bring the car in for warranty work.

9. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Doesn’t matter. For warranty work they don’t care WHO is bringing in the car! Maybe you’re the assistant? The boyfriend? Girlfriend? They don’t go around checking IDs etc. plus you can pay in cash.

The problem is if you have 2 Tesla’s in account. Then you can’t transfer account.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Do you really drive that much that this is a big deal ? I have had free charging since 2013 however even if I needed to pay it’s still cheaper than gas ...or you can buy new one with my referral code for free charging :D

• Helpful x 1
  11. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

@Toddsquad Would you really benefit from free supercharging? I find charging from home is so easy I would never head to a supercharger unless needed for a road trip. And I don't do many road trips. Of course, I have cheap electricity here so that makes a difference.

Suggest doing a ROI calculation on the benefit before making a decision.

And no, I wouldn't just accept someone else tesla account. What happens when the previous owner shows up at the service center, with ID and matching credit cards and say they forgot their password?

12. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

Would likely only use supercharging when traveling between MA and NJ. Otherwise would mostly charge at home. Was just wondering if anyone has done this before...seemed sketchy that Tesla employees suggested this.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yah it is sketchy Lol ...if the car you are buying is good deal has options etc buy the car not the supercharging ...;)

14. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

Would use only for trips. Electricity expensive but wouldn’t drive out of way just to get free supercharging. Was just checking what people thought on this. Basically between buying new MS for 86k-incentives or 2017 used MS for upper 60’s w/ some nice custom features...

15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Post what u are buying so we can see :D

16. Toddsquad

Toddsquad Member

Sent PM

17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Many people have reported that Tesla refuses to do warranty work until the car is transferred into their MyTesla account.

Normally you have to sign for any work done, so you would have to forge the prior owner's signature.

18. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Ok. So supercharging would be a few hundred a year, absolute max.

I’d base the decision on other things. Price, features, warranty, miles.

19. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I get a loaner when I bring my car in. I have to show driver license and insurance card. Good luck if you aren't the owner.

• Like x 1
  20. dmcmillen

dmcmillen Member

Unlimited supercharging is overvalued by most people who intend to use it as designed (extra-local driving). Certainly not worth giving up the depreciation savings if the mid-2017 and new Model S are otherwise equivalent to you. This assumes you don't mind missing out on AP 2.5 and the new MCU, as well as some minor interior changes.