Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont 4680 & structural pack - When will it happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we've learned Texas will serve the Eastern 2/3's of the US, what about Fremont? Considering CA is the largest vehicle market, it makes sense to maximize Kato Rd 4680 production and to launch 4680 w/structural pack to improve margins. We need insider information leaked from Fremont if/when this will happen. Please anyone with knowledge of this break the code of silence and let us know anonymously!

Now that we've learned Texas will serve the Eastern 2/3's of the US, what about Fremont? Considering CA is the largest vehicle market, it makes sense to maximize Kato Rd 4680 production and to launch 4680 w/structural pack to improve margins. We need insider information leaked from Fremont if/when this will happen. Please anyone with knowledge of this break the code of silence and let us know anonymously!
There was that guy, Elon, talking today, you know. He said NOTHING about Fremont and 4680. It seems, Tesla doesn't care about customers anymore. Time to cancel reservations.

Disappointed in big product roadmap call yesterday. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.

Disappointed in big product roadmap call yesterday. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.
I was originally guessing they would produce the S, X, and 3 at Fremont and all the Y's from Austin but according to Elon, 2/3 of the US will be getting the Y's from Austin since it would make the most sense logistically leaving the west coast the Y's from Fremont. I agree that people "in the know" would not want the 2170 Y's knowing that they are being produced with the 4680's however I'm sure that they will have to use up their existing inventory of the 2170 batteries. My hope and theory is that Fremont will start producing with the 4680's towards the end of the quarter and Austin will start delivering the ones produced in Austin simultaneously. I'm basing my theory loosely on the fact that EDD's on orders have been changing constantly possibly to accommodate this simultaneous release. Also currently the 4680's are produced at Kato Rd right in Fremont so are they shipping all the batteries to Austin or is Austin now producing their own 4680's? I read a rumor that Fremont already had a giga press but was not being used at the time. I'm sure it will take time to transition and retool to produce the with the 4680's vs the 2170 but the availability of the batteries are there and Elon said that they have no shortage in terms of batteries. This is all speculation of course but I do believe that Fremont will be producing Y's with the 4680's hopefully sooner than later.

I wonder if Tesla would be open to allowing those on the west coast with MY orders to pick up their deliveries in Austin. We can get the 4680 MY and Tesla would save on delivery cost, win win.

Texas is a state that doesn't allow Tesla to sell in state. Even if people that live in Texas get a Y from Austin will have their car shipped out of state, buyer pays for it sight unseen, then the car is brought back in for delivery.

Picking up at Austin is not likely.

Right, forgot about the stupid ban on direct sales in Texas. I would think 4680 would charge faster based on its efficiency and the structural battery pack would have some impact on body rigidity. I'd still make that trip if it's an option.

Not sure, that from an owners perspective, the 4680 battery pack will give many significant benefits.

Understand that it is the latest technology, but both packs will power their cars in a similar matter.

Same issue with the large castings. Will a driver really be able to tell one from the other?
The advantages of the 4680 is less degradation, quicker charge/discharge, less weight, and charging to 100%. I’m convinced that it will improve efficiency and drivability albeit maybe not drastically. However we still don’t know what size packs tesla will be using.

The advantages of the 4680 is less degradation, quicker charge/discharge, less weight, and charging to 100%. I’m convinced that it will improve efficiency and drivability albeit maybe not drastically. However we still don’t know what size packs tesla will be using.

4680 is not an LFP chemistry. To my knowledge, charging to 100% will still be recommended only for road trips.

My best advice for those who are dying for 4680? Cancel order until Austin is up and for those west coast, wait until Fremont transitions. The current version of the Y is still a perfectly good vehicle that will last you 10 years if you want it to. Yes the less weight will lead to better efficiency, but as you stated Tesla very well may put a pack in that maintains that 330 miles of the current Y so the better efficiency is negated. The less weight will improve acceleration, but won't be noticeable by the butt dyno. Same with the rigidity leading to better dynamics. Just won't be noticeable. The only noticeable benefit might be less chances of having build quality issues, but if you get a perfect Fremont Y, no added benefit then. All this jumping through hoops just to get something that is largely a bigger benefit to Tesla than the consumer is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Although the focus of the MY and 4680 discussion at yesterday's earnings call was on the Texas gigafactory, there was nothing said to specifically indicate that Fremont will not also be using 4680 batteries soon. It was reported a couple of months ago, and seen in some drone flyovers, that Fremont already had thousands of front mega-castings on hand and they have already been building MYs with rear mega-castings since mid-2021. This would indicate that Fremont is getting ready to start producing the V2.0 MY chassis and this chassis requires a structural battery pack. The big questions are when will Fremont actually start production of the new chassis and will they use 2160 or 4680 structural battery packs. My GUESS is they will start producing the new chassis and use the 4680 structural battery packs by the end of this quarter in order to keep the Fremont MYs and the Austin MYs with the same configuration.

Not sure, that from an owners perspective, the 4680 battery pack will give many significant benefits.

Understand that it is the latest technology, but both packs will power their cars in a similar matter.

Same issue with the large castings. Will a driver really be able to tell one from the other?
I think the large casting might have significant enough of a advantage in terms of payload and towing capacity due to weight savings, which I think was somewhere in the around 200-300 pounds?

Last edited:
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I wonder if Tesla would be open to allowing those on the west coast with MY orders to pick up their deliveries in Austin. We can get the 4680 MY and Tesla would save on delivery cost, win win.
Yet they would still charge you the destination fee. Like when you pick up in Fremont and still get charged for them taking the car across the street to be delivered.

I'm not necessarily looking save on destination charges. Mainly thinking of options for those that want the 4680 MY and not have to push out their delivery date and willing to go a nearby state to get it. I'm curious how many people make that trip if that were an option.