Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont factory closes Mon 9/18/23 - Any speculation on what happens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?!?! That would make it an incredibly expensive meeting. Why wouldn't they just meet somewhere else?
Yes, but didn’t Clinton shut down an airport getting a hair touch up on Air Force One? Didn’t NJ governor Christie block a major thoroughfare between NJ and NYC to actually get a haircut? Meetings are super important if you believe you’re super important. All lesser activities must be stopped to accommodate. Just no other way, amirite?

Yes, but didn’t Clinton shut down an airport getting a hair touch up on Air Force One? Didn’t NJ governor Christie block a major thoroughfare between NJ and NYC to actually get a haircut? Meetings are super important if you believe you’re super important. All lesser activities must be stopped to accommodate. Just no other way, amirite?

But that's the government - the most inefficient entity in the known universe. That's par for the course for them.

Elon has flung poo (figuratively) at world leaders on numerous occasions. I don't know him personally, but it seems out of character to shut down the factory to meet one of them. Especially unless it was majorly advantageous to him and/or one of his businesses.

My understanding from googling is that they were meeting to discuss antisemitism on X. Shutting down Tesla (a publicly traded company) for a meeting about X seems like it would get him into just as much trouble as talking about building a house with Tesla resources. Surely that can't be the reason.

New theory:
Tesla is retooling to introduce a top secret new EV that runs on futuristic alternative energy - refined natural organic petroleum distillate.

I remember I was on "state" business in Cincinnati, and the secret service closed all lanes on the Interstate into and out of Cincinnati from the airport once during Clinton's admin. I was on upper floors of hotel overlooking bridge and river. Anyway all these black cars came down including the presidents limo. Everything was stopped. He wanted to get some Graeters ice cream downtown. I think to myself, that is real power. Sometimes when I want a Graeters, I feel the same way. 😄

Last edited:
I remember I was on "state" business in Cincinnati, and the secret service closed all lanes on the Interstate into and out of Cincinnati from the airport once during Clinton's admin. I was on upper floors of hotel overlooking bridge and river. Anyway all these black cars came down including the presidents limo. Everything was stopped. He wanted to get some Graeters ice cream downtown. I think to myself, that is real power. Sometimes when I want a Graeters, I feel the same way. 😄
Graeters is indeed terrific ice cream, worth any imposition on those less worthy. When we lived in the Columbus area we used to get the large tubs (2-1/2 gallons) of the amazing Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip, and sometimes would share. Now we can still get the half-pints in North Carolina at the local supermarket but it is a mortgage payment to do so and we’ve cut back. We like it even more than the amazingly good Jeni’s, also now available here. To be fair, Jeni delivers some very unusual yet high-quality flavors. Again, half-pint purchases preclude paying utility bills that quarter.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
I guess that depends on how you define “expensive”… sending everyone home for a day to NOT produce a bunch of Model S/3/X that they’re having trouble moving might not be the worst idea in the world.
How do you figure? They cut inventory in the US by 60% since the price cuts three weeks ago. And that on top of the fact that delivery timelines have increased from "Sep-Oct" on 9/1 to "Nov-Dec" now - a 2 month shift to the right in a matter of 3 weeks.

Are you suggesting they're NOT selling everything they can produce at this point?

Are you suggesting they're NOT selling everything they can produce at this point?
I’m suggesting massive price cuts plus pausing the production line for a day just might be having the obvious and intended effect of bringing supply in line with demand. 💡

They were very clearly NOT selling “everything they can produce” a few weeks ago, particularly S/X, as evidenced by the continued substantial price cuts. Doesn’t take a SpaceX scientist to figure that out.

While most factory line maintenance is attempted during off hours, it may be something that requires far more time than could be done in off time. For example, the replacement of one of those car handler robots seems like a multi-day job. Or something major in the paint shop. If they started on Saturday, perhaps they needed 3 days to get the job done (and knew that in advance).

I’m suggesting massive price cuts plus pausing the production line for a day just might be having the obvious and intended effect of bringing supply in line with demand. 💡

They were very clearly NOT selling “everything they can produce” a few weeks ago, particularly S/X, as evidenced by the continued substantial price cuts. Doesn’t take a SpaceX scientist to figure that out.
This plus the inevitable Obsorne effect that is now in play for existing M3 production here in the US - even with discounts - more buyers are simply going to cancel orders or hold out until the Highland version is available. Knowing Tesla - it's likely an "all of the above" with regard to the one day closure - Bibi is visiting - and they are likely moving equipment into the factory in prep for the upcoming retooling at some point in Q4 2023 best estimate. If you're going to have factory downtime for any reason - put it to good use type of thing.

Reactions: Darmie and ucmndd