Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(French) Translation of "auto-steer" becomes "maintain heading" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am a Tesla fan, I follow the news about the company very closely. I find the French translation of the "auto-steer" function disturbing.
If you look at the Tesla's French webpage, "Autosteer" has been translated into "Assistance au maintien de cap", which in my opinion is problematic.

Now I understand the root problem : the straight translation to the verb "to steer" would be "diriger" which is never used when talking about driving a car : we only use this word as "direction" when talking about the mechanical stuff between the steering wheel and the front axle wheels that allows steering the car, but not for the action of steering itself. (in French : we drive the car, we turn the car, we maintain the car in a straight line, but we don't "steer" cars).
People wouldn't understand "auto-diriger" / "auto-direction". The term would be more associated with GPS navigation. So Tesla had to find some other word to translate "autosteer".

So they tried "maintien de cap". And that's where I have a problem.
I know what a "cap" is : it's a very precise technical term in ship/airplane navigation, it translates directly in English as "heading" : the bearing of your vehicle relative to the North.
"Maintenir le cap", "to maintain the heading" means keeping the vehicle pointing in the same direction, no matter when the road does... You should be understanding the little issue that occurs when trying that in real-world curvy roads.
Indeed... Tesla's French translation of autosteer means "helps you going off the road in corners".

I hope Tesla reads this and reconsiders their French translation of autosteer.