Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fringe or intangible benefits of going with P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between a 90D and a P100D for my wife's new daily driver. I would say range is more important than performance, but performance can't hurt! My wife likes to drive fast (much faster than me!). The 40K delta between the 90D and the P100D is a concern, but is manageable if it came down to it. We know the 100D is coming, and that the price delta between 100D and the P100D will probably be 30K?

Aside from the obvious tangible benefits of going with the newest P model:
  • Higher HP Rear Motor
  • Ludicrous Mode (forced option)
  • Active Spoiler
  • Red Brembo Calipers (is this just painted red? do four piston brembos come stock on non-P models)?
We are trying to factor into our decision if there are other fringe / intangible / unmentioned benefits with going with the top of the food chain P model?
  • Highest margin model -- so will be prioritized at EOQ push?
  • Is the car built to stricter standards on the line?
  • More clout for expediting warranty / service work?
  • Better delivery experience? More free schwag?
  • Will a loaner always be a P model?
Thanks all -- look forward to your thoughts!

Go for the P100D. Why not?

However, Tesla treats all customers the same. Just because you get the highest end model Tesla does not treat you differently. You might get your car built earlier than the lower margin vehicles though, but that's pretty much it. No stricter standards, no better delivery experience, no extra swags, loaner not always available and you can still get a rental non-Tesla.

I am in the same position as you. I hate it. Why does the P100D have to be so much more expensive than the 90D.

Fortuantly I pushed my production back till January so I have the option to change if the 100D comes out.

I love the speed of the 100 with ludicrous but that 60 grand ( CAD ) hurts.... I could buy my work truck for that! lol!

The 100D may have even longer range than the much more expensive P100DL that's available today.

The P100DL is rated for 315 miles. Estimates are that the 100D could be rated for over 340 miles.

We don't know how much more the 100D will cost vs. the 90D, though if it's consistent with the P100DL pricing, it's possible the 100D could cost an additional $10K more than the 90D, but for that extra $10K, you might get an additional 50 miles of range, likely with the same, if not slightly better, performance.

It's also possible Tesla may soon discontinue the P90D (non-L) and start offering a P100D (non-L), which could be $10K less than the current P100DL.

I've had a P85 for almost 4 years - which has about the same performance as a 90D has today, and to be honest, in real driving conditions, it's difficult to get many situations where I can use the full acceleration of the P85 - and even without the higher performance of the P90D or P100DL, it's still faster than almost anything else on the road...

For our next car, we're considering a 100D with AP 2.0, though the potential for a $15K price increase over a 90D/AP 1.0 it may be more difficult to pull the trigger...

Funny. I had the same debate and a lot of the same questions. Ended up choosing the P100D. As a prior owner of an MS, I hated range anxiety in the winter long commute. So that was the overwhelming rational for the expense.

As far as other benefits...
Yes priority delivery was true. Our P100d was delivered 2 to 3 weeks earlier than the 90d we initially reserved.

No additional free stuff in delivery.
No improved service center experience.
No guaranteed P for service work.
No problems with quality. Had not needed service center for anything.

But my son liked bragging to his friends about getting the king of the hill of SUVs!

Definitely looking for more posts by balefire as one of the absolutely first recipients of the P100DX, while we await ours. For the OP, I detailed my justification for ordering the P100D, and each of the options, here: P100D Order Thread I would say that for our fairly "outlier" situation, the 100 vs 90 pack was the easiest decision of all. Finally, regardless of which package you choose, unless your family name is Andretti you are going to be absolutely more than satisfied..and then some...in spades...with whatever level of performance you get.