Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 2019 M3 w/USS to MY Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About to pull the trigger on trading in my beloved 2019 M3 for a new MY. I feel like I understand most of the differences, if not all. But I can't really decide how miserable I will be without the USS I've been using heavily for 4 years on my M3. I know that vision isn't as good. And I know that it will never be as good as what I have. But does it work well enough, or, at least, do we expect it to eventually get there?

I live in an urban setting, and every day I pull out of my driveway into the street lined with parked cars. I use the USS feedback to get right up close to the cars and have never so much as even tapped one. And then every night I pull back into my short driveway and get right up against my wife's minivan. Of course I also use it in parking garages and other tight places.

In short...how much will I be cursing Elon with the new MY in these parking/tight situations? And do we expect it to get significantly better? I mean, they fixed phantom breaking. Right? ;)

Similarly, I went from a 3 and a Y, both with USS to a newer Y w/Vision. As of now, Vision is subpar when compared to Vision, especially at shorter distances. I don't know the exact distance, but I would say 12" or greater is fine, probably the same level of performance. Once you're less than 12", my Y thinks it will hit the wall or pole, so Vision beeps at me even though there's plenty of room left. It's conservative. Sometimes, on the main screen, it shows my Y over a curb, when in reality there's about 8 inches between the Y and the curb. All to say, it gives you some level of protection, but not as good as the USS, especially in tight spots.

I honestly think it’s perfectly fine, it’s more than good enough for everyday use. I don’t find it all that different to my other cars with USS. My wife, who relies on these systems more than I do, also finds it perfectly ok.

Have a ~1 month old model y with vision for parking. Honestly, it's a hot mess compared to USS in cars from a decade or two ago (maybe longer). You can't believe it, which makes it mostly useless. Sometimes I'll be like 2' away from something and it shows the line halfway through my hood.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry!
Cry. it's horrible. :-D

just for kicks, here's my car display RIGHT NOW.
PXL_20230724_000909350.jpg

it's a solid 3 feet away from the curb.
PXL_20230724_000933165.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.