Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has vision caught up to the USS sensor capability yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, on the M3 we get the little squiggly lines in front when the car gets pulled in. Again, I don't use that as the main positioner for the car, but have noted that the reading was there and seemed roughly right (yea many inches).

I haven't looked at the distance reading that closely but have been mildly curious about how deep into the weeds Tesla has gone on this. Look at it this way: With binocular vision (for those of us blessed with working wetware, not all of us are), one can get a pretty good idea of how far away things are. If memory serves, human depth perception works only to 30' or so. Further out we do it the old-fashioned way, by estimating the angular size of known objects.

But while there are a couple of cameras up on the windshield, they're not very far apart from each other. Without a decent baseline, said cameras are going to have a difficult time working out actual distance. I guess it would work better if there was a foot between them; or, better yet, a pair of forward facing cameras, one in each upper corner of the windshield.

However, having said that, I have an iPhone and have had a decent Android phone. Both of those have a "measure" mode where one waves the camera back and forth at the world a bit; then, one clicks on the corner of some object (a rug, corner of a window, whatever) then moves the aim point of the camera at some other point. And the phone will give one the distance between the two clicked points! I've measured floor width, carpet x by y, size of the top of a table, etc., etc. this way.

Well, the iPhone/Android phones Have But One Lens and they're clearly doing distance measurements just fine. Probably using the angular distance and the size of the pixels or something. And if they can do it, there's probably no particular reason that a Tesla can do it, too. Especially when we're talking about, what, ten or fifteen feet or so, maximum.

My guess is that the camera is picking up the crank handle on the side of the snowblower, which is just about at bumper height, the closest thing to the car, and is probably visible to the camera, and giving the distance between the bumper and the handle. If I feel ambitious this weekend, I'll pull the car in, note the displayed distance, then go and get a tape measure and check it.

Fun.
I don't know on Android (in terms of accuracy) but on iPhone the most accurate measure mode only works with the lidar equipped phones. It's been that way since they introduced the sensors in 2020.

I don't know on Android (in terms of accuracy) but on iPhone the most accurate measure mode only works with the lidar equipped phones. It's been that way since they introduced the sensors in 2020.
Just checked. Looks like the iPhone 12 Pro has a LIDAR scanner, but the iPhone 12, the one I've got, doesn't. And it does measure the height and width of things.

FWIW, just did some measurements with the thing. First, it wants one to move the phone around a bit in several directions. Then one centers a pip on something one wants to measure, hits a "+" symbol on the screen to add that point, moves the pip to the next spot, then hits the "+" symbol again to get the measurement. It works, although I have no idea what the accuracy numbers look like.

Just checked. Looks like the iPhone 12 Pro has a LIDAR scanner, but the iPhone 12, the one I've got, doesn't. And it does measure the height and width of things.

FWIW, just did some measurements with the thing. First, it wants one to move the phone around a bit in several directions. Then one centers a pip on something one wants to measure, hits a "+" symbol on the screen to add that point, moves the pip to the next spot, then hits the "+" symbol again to get the measurement. It works, although I have no idea what the accuracy numbers look like.
My experience is that it's accurate-ish without lidar, and much more accurate with it (at least when measuring objects in 3-space from weird angles and perspectives). It's still not actually all that good, but it's within a few inches usually.

Well, the iPhone/Android phones Have But One Lens and they're clearly doing distance measurements just fine. Probably using the angular distance and the size of the pixels or something. And if they can do it, there's probably no particular reason that a Tesla can do it, too. Especially when we're talking about, what, ten or fifteen feet or so, maximum.
If you have an iPhone 12 Pro or newer, they have a lidar sensor which they use to make the measurements more accurate