Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister owns a Q4, nice car to say the least. No one pedal driving not to mention one of the worst rated cars for range reduction in cold weather and tech that is light years behind Tesla keeps me away. My sister previously had a Q5, I was surprised to see the Q4 EV was slower then the ICE Q5. Bottom line, un upscale ID4.

Not saying it is a bad car, on the contrary, fit and finish is much better than a Tesla however that is not what counts in my book.
I know someone with an ID4, it's a decent car but gives me Toyota Prius vibes. Nothing wrong with that though, my wife loved her 2004 Prius but wasn't something I particularly liked driving.

Yes, the latch fails and you cannot open it without removing the fender liners in a desperate attempt to disengage the latch. This is different than if the low voltage battery fails and you pop it with a 12v battery
I thought this was only on cars with aftermarket soft close or auto frunk kits. Had not heard of failures on non modified cars.

EDIT, After a search, I fail to find a frunk failure on a stock vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
Give me a break! If Tesla had an issue with this it would have been corrected a decade ago. This forum is where people come to complain about issues and nobody here seems to have any.

I've had plenty of issues with my Teslas and I think they are excellent cars, but I don't drink the Tesla koolaide. If you think Tesla has your back you might want to look up the S/X platform issues. Failing aft links, poorly designed front end geometry resulting in constant half shaft replacements, uncorrectable rear toe....to name a few.

Yes.

Bizarrely, the Q4 E-Tron also has a manual charge port. I see people driving them with their charge port open and flapping in the wind remarkably often!
I would almost prefer the manual charge port to some of the slow, jerky opening ones from the legacy automakers. The Tesla charge port rocks!

At the end of the day the E-Tron is a tarted up iD4, for better or worse.

No, we won't ask a mechanic or search you tube. You are literally the only person talking about this. Site your sources.

I spoke with the Tesla tech who came to my shop. It happens, maybe not to everybody, but he and his other coworkers have spent time under a car trying to release stuck frunks. You can believe whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me.

I spoke with the Tesla tech who came to my shop. It happens, maybe not to everybody, but he and his other coworkers have spent time under a car trying to release stuck frunks. You can believe whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me.
I'd be grateful if you would post one of the YT links. I've searched but failed to find one. Must be using the wrong search criteria. MTIA

OT but stuck frunk/hood latches are not specific or common to Tesla alone. Both my Audi A4 and BMW 330i had it. It apparently happened more frequently than I thought it did too, according to the service techs I spoke. So yeah.

OT but stuck frunk/hood latches are not specific or common to Tesla alone. Both my Audi A4 and BMW 330i had it. It apparently happened more frequently than I thought it did too, according to the service techs I spoke. So yeah.
My Q3 Vorsprung hatch (2020 model) had all sorts of issues from new. It was anyone's guess if it was going to open. Except when i was washing the car. When spraying the rear with a hosepipe (not even a powerwash) the boot would suddenly spring open :) . They did fix it eventually under warranty. Something to do with the folding tow bar if I recall.

I had a coworker whose trunk opened more than once at the carwash, it was an Audi also but I don't remember the model. It had something to do with the hands-free kick-to-open trunk feature being activated.
Hell. I had an SQ5 and that used to open at automated car washes because the kick-to-open was sensitive. There was a software update that lowered the sensitivity but then, it because harder to open using that feature.

Reactions: Jacob Vega