Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front bumper replaced - what are these "bumps"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Got my car back from a Tesla Approved bodyshop after getting into a minor accident. The front bumper was replaced.

There are a bunch of these little bumps on the bumper and the shop is saying that's how it came from Tesla.

Sorry these are really hard to photograph.

What are these and can these be fixed?

Thanks

2b - Front bumper bumps.jpg
2c - Front bumper bumps.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
It may have come that way, but it looks like mold lines to me. If you remove the bumper and look behind at the back side of it, it may become more obvious. Should have been rejected at the factory.

It may have come that way, but it looks like mold lines to me. If you remove the bumper and look behind at the back side of it, it may become more obvious. Should have been rejected at the factory.
This is Tesla we are talking about here. As long as the car rolls forward and parts aren’t outwardly falling off, it’s getting transported to its end destination.

My brand new bumper also has them. Tesla approved body shop reordered new bumper and had the same marks. The dimple is from the bracket that the turn signals mount to. Body shop called Tesla and they said its normal. Must be a bad batch of bumpers.
Same here. All the bumpers they got from Tesla are like that. They repainted the bumper and did the best to smooth it out. It's still there but barely noticeable now.

FYI here's how it looks like at the back.

20221007_150956.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I own a body shop and the answer of “that’s how it came from tesla” is BS. I would’ve requested a new bumper from Tesla, or fixed that one. Any decent shop should have a nitrogen plastic welder that allows proper plastic repairs and reshaping. Those bumps would have fixed at my shop with the customer getting a smooth factory like finish. Not acceptable. Call your insurance company if you used them, and call Tesla. you Shouldn’t have to settle on that.