Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Bumper Seam Cracked/Ripped Near Emblem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed recently a crack or rip on the seam underneath the "T" emblem of the front bumper. Please see pics attached. I haven't been in an accident or any fender benders so I'm not sure how this happened. I don't have any scratches on the bumper so it doesnt look like anyone hit me and took off while my car was parked. Would it be possible this was caused by weather, like it was in the sun too long?

Would Tesla be able to fix this without having to replace the entire front bumper? Would it be covered by warranty? Has anyone else seen this or had it happen to them before?

FYI - The pic below where you can see my thumb, I'm pushing the bumper in to try and close the gap.

I have a 5/2018 build MS

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 102
Bumper Medic type service can easily and inexpensively fix that with a plastic welder and some touch up paint if it bothers you a lot.
Good suggestion but I'm not sure it would last in this case. That particular spot is under a bit of pressure the way the nose-piece attaches and the whole thing sort of wraps under it so I'm not sure it would hold up to the forces against against it since it's going to want to not lay flat by nature. Other areas that sort of want to lay flat on their own and aren't being torqued tend to do better. I'd say it's worth a shot (maybe) but make sure they offer a warranty on the work for a period that you're comfortable with to be sure. Then you gotta worry about paint too. If it were me, being that they live in the LA, CA area I bet replacement parts are a dime a dozen in that area. You could probably put that same money towards a used bumper cover that is 98% or so and then sell yours at a wholesale price to someone else who wants to take on that project at a savings or someone who has a more jacked up bumper cover. That's me though.

Good suggestion but I'm not sure it would last in this case. That particular spot is under a bit of pressure the way the nose-piece attaches and the whole thing sort of wraps under it so I'm not sure it would hold up to the forces against against it since it's going to want to not lay flat by nature. Other areas that sort of want to lay flat on their own and aren't being torqued tend to do better. I'd say it's worth a shot (maybe) but make sure they offer a warranty on the work for a period that you're comfortable with to be sure. Then you gotta worry about paint too. If it were me, being that they live in the LA, CA area I bet replacement parts are a dime a dozen in that area. You could probably put that same money towards a used bumper cover that is 98% or so and then sell yours at a wholesale price to someone else who wants to take on that project at a savings or someone who has a more jacked up bumper cover. That's me though.

I agree, in the picture where you see my thumb I'm pushing pretty hard and I can't even get the bumper to connect to the chrome. So I think its unlikely the plastic welding would hold up.

Reactions: Ostrichsak