Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Collision TESLA Model 3. Repair and Troubleshooting Help Needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone my name is Frank and I am pretty much brand new here. I purchased a 2018 Model 3 long range with only 366 miles on it. I bought the car from an auto auction that had some undercarriage damage. The steering wheel and the knee airbag were deployed. I got the car home and it was completely drained. So I charge up the 12 volt battery and main screen turned on. I tried to get the car in neutral or any gear in that matter and it will not get out of park. So I checked the pyro fuse and turns out the fuse was blown. I jumped the pyro fuse with a wire and 2 ohm resistor and still no luck. Car was saying that the coolant is low, unable to charge, airbags deployed and car may not restart. Also the main battery was completely drained there was 0 miles on the battery. So I went to plug it in and charge it, charge door flips open white tesla light plug it in tesla light turns blue and stays blue. Stating that charging has stopped? The charge port tesla light never turned green? Things to mention the steering rack connector is broken, the temp sensor is broken does not read the temperature, can not update software. And i think that it, any help would be great thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.58.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.58.09 PM.png
    471.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Funny
Reactions: dennisvab
Hello everyone my name is Frank and I am pretty much brand new here. I purchased a 2018 Model 3 long range with only 366 miles on it. I bought the car from an auto auction that had some undercarriage damage. The steering wheel and the knee airbag were deployed. I got the car home and it was completely drained. So I charge up the 12 volt battery and main screen turned on. I tried to get the car in neutral or any gear in that matter and it will not get out of park. So I checked the pyro fuse and turns out the fuse was blown. I jumped the pyro fuse with a wire and 2 ohm resistor and still no luck. Car was saying that the coolant is low, unable to charge, airbags deployed and car may not restart. Also the main battery was completely drained there was 0 miles on the battery. So I went to plug it in and charge it, charge door flips open white tesla light plug it in tesla light turns blue and stays blue. Stating that charging has stopped? The charge port tesla light never turned green? Things to mention the steering rack connector is broken, the temp sensor is broken does not read the temperature, can not update software. And i think that it, any help would be great thanks in advance.

Hmm - couple of ideas.
* Assuming you're charging with included mobile connector, make sure that you're using a 220VAC or 240V plug and adapter. I'm pretty sure that you'll never get off the proverbial "ground" charging with 110VAC and a 0% SOC pack.
* You may be S.O.L. if any temp sensors fail.

Was this car a salvage title? If not, have you called Tesla? Otherwise, as others have said, call Rich! :).

The car has zero coolant I found out that there is a cut in one of the coolant lines and i can't even top it off. More info coming soon as i remove the front fascia.

Hmm - couple of ideas.
* Assuming you're charging with included mobile connector, make sure that you're using a 220VAC or 240V plug and adapter. I'm pretty sure that you'll never get off the proverbial "ground" charging with 110VAC and a 0% SOC pack.
* You may be S.O.L. if any temp sensors fail.

Was this car a salvage title? If not, have you called Tesla? Otherwise, as others have said, call Rich! :).
Hi I am charging with 110v i will try to wire up my 220v this weekend. It does have a salvage title, tesla will not even talk to you. I called them to see if i can get a 12v battery from them with no luck but luckily mine charged.

Hello the HV battery pack does have a ding on the casing, the HV wiring for the AC/heater were cut. I disconnected the plug from the rear of the HV battery pack for now, replaced all the fuses pyro and the (3) 63A fuses. And still nothing

I don't think you can use, or charge, the HV battery if any HV cable is damaged or missing.

It does have a salvage title, tesla will not even talk to you. I called them to see if i can get a 12v battery from them with no luck but luckily mine charged.

Tesla changed their policy a few months ago. They will supply parts and work on the non HV portions of the car. If you want them to work on the HV parts of the car you have to pay for a ~$500 HV inspection.

Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

• Informative
Reactions: GuyDude
I don't think you can use, or charge, the HV battery if any HV cable is damaged or missing.

Tesla changed their policy a few months ago. They will supply parts and work on the non HV portions of the car. If you want them to work on the HV parts of the car you have to pay for a ~$500 HV inspection.

You’re right Tesla will supply parts to salvage cars. However because he does not have a new title for his car, nor has a registration, he is not on the Tesla account. If you are not on the account Tesla will not sell you anything. Ask me how I know. Rebuilding my model 3 to the point that I can pass my state inspection, the will buy any minor parts afternoon I request to be the account owner.

I will connect them but since they were cut, i can't tell the polarties -/+? I need to know which wire is for which unit also since the ac and the heater were cut, so i have 4 wires that need there routing.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 157
Jack Rickard has the same situation documented in a video. Air bags deployed, pyro-fuse blown, no charge due to coolant leak.

Watch from 00:01:00 to 00:04:00 and also from 01:46:00 to the end. I recommend watching Jack's videos at 2X speed (try it) -->

Great vid thanks for the time skips loll. My M3 doesn't even try to start charging, i noticed his charge port light turns red mine stays blue?