Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front door closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is only one setting for the doors. When the car first came out there were issues with them closing on slopes and the cars seemed to have to learn how hard they needed to shut. Some people complained that they would not close etc. The SC could adjust these a bit IIRC or you just had to wait for the car to adjust.

Not sure what the present situation is but I guess is that they have a single fixed setting to overcome a common slope and that results in a harder close.

They replaced the latch in 2017. I think cars from pre early 2017 have some scary shutting noise, later cars are much better

+1.

I had the latest version of latches placed on my May '16 Blue X and it made a significant difference (soft/quiet close). My new X door latches are perfect!

OP, if you haven't already had those latches installed, call Tesla and get them changed (It's a big job though....took the Ranger about 5 1/2 hrs. for mine)

+1.

I had the latest version of latches placed on my May '16 Blue X and it made a significant difference (soft/quiet close). My new X door latches are perfect!

OP, if you haven't already had those latches installed, call Tesla and get them changed (It's a big job though....took the Ranger about 5 1/2 hrs. for mine)
i'm getting mine done this week!

I brought the car in at 1pm tuesday, and my service advisor said he thought it would be done in 4-hours, but they didn't finish them until this morning and he called me to say yeah they took longer than he thought... :D

can't wait to have the nice quiet latches!

Im not talking about how loud they are I am talking about that they come at you at 100 mph and rather then slowing down right before they close they come in at full speed. I'm not complaining I am just wondering because on the Christmas dance they are clearly capable of moving at a very slow rate in a controlled fashion

+1.

i'm getting mine done this week!

I brought the car in at 1pm tuesday, and my service advisor said he thought it would be done in 4-hours, but they didn't finish them until this morning and he called me to say yeah they took longer than he thought... :D

can't wait to have the nice quiet latches!

Was this done under warranty or did you pay for it?

Im not talking about how loud they are I am talking about that they come at you at 100 mph and rather then slowing down right before they close they come in at full speed. I'm not complaining I am just wondering because on the Christmas dance they are clearly capable of moving at a very slow rate in a controlled fashion
That’s what the newer cars do exactly. They move slower and they shut quieter and aofter

Reactions: Peteybabes
ok, update time! :D i got my car back today after several things got fixed but most importantly i got my new latches installed on my early build 2016 MX in the 006XXX serial # range.

they are literally silent now! :eek: they also open slower and more cautiously. now when the doors close they are definitely slower and quieter than my previous latches, although they still close firmly to ensure proper closure.

mega improvement if i must say so myself.

Reactions: X Fan and aesculus
yeah, my doors SLAM pretty hard and loud on their own, not a huge deal but do like the newer latches. my latches were replaced with new ones, but just the 2nd iteration in 2017 I think, there have been 1-2 more iterations i believe. hehe, don't want them to fail again but if they do - look forward to these new ones.

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes