Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end damage, would this be totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just in an accident for a 2022 Model 3 Performance. Tesla is saying it might be several months to be seen and even then to be fixed longer. That said the front bar is cracked on the side. Would this be a total loss? Otherwise I should start making arrangements to get a new car because not having a vehicle for several months doesn’t work.

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    620.7 KB · Views: 310
Because strangers on the interwebs have the ability to make error free repair estimates based on a single photo taken in the dark?

But seriously, it looks pretty bad and, considering parts and labor vs value, I wouldn’t be surprised if your insurance declares it totaled. Remember, you don’t have to take it to Tesla. If your insurance doesn’t recommend a few Tesla certified body shops, you can ask Tesla or search online (maybe not on user message boards).

Do what you need to do to get to work because you’ll have bills to pay regardless. Good luck.

Reactions: WyoDude and rpiotro
Because strangers on the interwebs have the ability to make error free repair estimates based on a single photo taken in the dark?

But seriously, it looks pretty bad and, considering parts and labor vs value, I wouldn’t be surprised if your insurance declares it totaled. Remember, you don’t have to take it to Tesla. If your insurance doesn’t recommend a few Tesla certified body shops, you can ask Tesla or search online (maybe not on user message boards).

Do what you need to do to get to work because you’ll have bills to pay regardless. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback and just waiting several months for Tesla is just really a bummer. I’m just seeing about just buying a brand new one at this point because of what reselling a damaged Tesla would mean. Tesla said it has to go to a service center but they’re not inspecting cars in Portland so I can get it inspected and therefore even repaired until that happens. They said they have about 200 cars ahead of me so might be several months to even be assessed and then I could update my insurance with Teslas assessment. It’s a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
That's not good. Is that number localized. It seems an insurance appraiser can be based anywhere and go the the car anywhere it is. I have not dealt with Tesla insurance.
Unfortunately they said it has to be at a shop and they won’t send someone out until that happens. Since no shop will take it , it’s a catch 22. I’m seeing about sending it to Seattle or CA. It’s not ideal.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It’s with State Farm
State farm should be ok with any Tesla certified shop. Heck, they would probably sign off on a non Tesla shop if it saves them a $.

First - It is probably not totaled, see mine below. Insurance would not call it a total loss

Second - State Farm CANNOT tell you where to take your car for repair estimates, that is against the law!

I would contact Tesla and find a certified Tesla repair shop in your area and take it there for the assessment, State Farm or any other insurance company MUST accept the assessment so long as it is a legitimate shop

I had my car repaired at a Porsche, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini shop that also does Teslas

IMG_1427.jpg

Unfortunately all Tesla repair shops at least here in Portland aren’t a taking anymore teslas. There are soft Tesla repair shops with dings and small items but aren’t Tesla approved. All the certified Tesla shops are booked out or not accepting so really unfortunately. For a shop to take a car keep it and fix it doesn’t appear to be an option here in Portland, Oregon.

• Informative
It seems there are only a few tesla approved body shops near Portland. You should contact a few shops to see if they can do the estimate first. Some shops can squeeze you in for a quick estimate. But a lot of them do not open it up until actual repair. That is when they write the supplements for additional costs. The cars usually won't get totaled from the first glance unless it is really bad. The rental duration with your own policy usually has a limit. Talk to your adjuster to see if you can nudge them into total the car.

Last edited:
Thank you for the that, Tesla told me that if I take it to a non Tesla shop it voids the warranty unfortunately.

You keep saying "non Tesla shop" when what it appears you mean is "Non Tesla CERTIFIED" shop. BIIIGGG Difference. Tesla can not tell you that you have to take it to a "Tesla shop". They can specify that you need to take it to a tesla certified shop" (which absolutely does not have to be Tesla owned), to maintain warranty coverage.

On a side note, I am still trying to figure out why over the past few months people have the impression that this site has anything at all to do with insurance valuation. The number of first posts where people are asking, in various ways "is this totaled?" is very strange to me.