Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end design of the Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the 50's people designed cars pretty much purely for looks. The exterior design of todays vehicles...especially EVs has to serve a functional purpose first and foremost. The front end on the M3 has taken a lot of hits. That fact leads me to the thought that this particular design feature must have a significant impact on some other part of the functionality of the car...my guess would be in aerodynamics although I certainly would not consider myself even remotely knowledgeable on the subject. If this feature gives us more range, more efficiency, etc. I say leave it alone and let the designers do what they do. I think it is a great looking car, even if it may have a bit of a stiff upper lip. ;)

Dan

Reactions: Tes LA
I wonder how many threads we have here with the same set of people calling for a change to this or that design. Even more surprising how many want Model 3 to look like a normal car.

This is a unique car and its design is purpose driven, its design elements will be like no other because Tesla is re-writing the design rule book with this one and they are in a unique position to do so - this being an EV. They will certainly require every trick at their disposal to reach a Cd of 0.21. Very unlikely it will end up looking like an another car.

Last edited:
I wonder how many threads we have here with the same set of people calling for a change to this or that design. Even more surprising how many want Model 3 to look like a normal car.
What do you mean? It does look like a normal car. It's the other EV makers who deliberately bake into their design a "hey look at me, I'm an electric vehicle!" ethos that usually does more harm than good.

• Helpful
Reactions: CalDreamin
In the UK, we have to display a white numberplate on the front, so a very rough approximation would look like this; This works with the front end, as it breaks up the solid single piece of one colour.

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-3-on-stage-in-red.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-on-stage-in-red.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 163
Oh come on. The whole appeal of Tesla is you get the electric vehicle in a normal, cool-looking package. You can't get that with ANY other EV on the planet. I'm sure other EVs would be popular too with the mainstream crowd if they looked like real cars.

Frankly, I'm rather disappointed that we won't be getting a normal-looking car with the 3. Tesla is trying to make EVs mainstream... the logical choice is to make an EV that looks normal (i.e. doesn't turn heads in a bad way). Got that with the S and it was wildly successful, but there is no way in hell I can afford that. Why couldn't we get that with the 3 too? Now it's back to smushed potatoes and design elements that scream "HEY I'M AN EV LOOK AT ME".

Selfishly, I really wish Tesla had waited another couple generations before straying into weirdmobile territory. All I wanted was a cemented lineup with one luxury sedan, one luxury SUV, one entry sedan, and one entry SUV that all looked like modern, cool cars a la BMW/Audi/Mercedes. But we only got one of those four. I suspect the Y will be hideously "aerodynamic" given the aggressive direction they've taken so far. Probably look like a literal teardrop.

Tesla forced their hand too quickly and are still relying on the S with the old nosecone to convince people that Tesla is cool along with the rest of their cars. When most people hear "Tesla", they think "Model S with nosecone". At some point, people will hear "Tesla" and think "that weird bulbous car that looks like it's been in an accident".

I like the 3. Well, mostly, but it is a little odd-looking. I'll still buy one because, while it sure sounds like I am, I'm really not that concerned with looks, given its other merits. A lot of complaining over here, but it's deserved based on the absolutely beautiful job Tesla did with the S. They have the potential to make a damn good-looking car, and it's frustrating when they try to force people into the future instead of gradual nudging. And now we all have no choice because this is supposed to be the affordable EV that's cool and techy. It's not perfect, but it's the best we'll get for a looooong time.

I'll take the measly 10 mile range hit if it means a mustache. I will 100% gladly take the 20 mile range hit if I get something similar to the classic S nosecone. Although something tells me those features don't really add that many more miles. They are such a small portion of the car that in the grand scheme of things, are almost negligible to the Cd. Hell, Mercedes imagined a car more aerodynamic than the S with an enormous front grill.

I understand that maybe Tesla wouldn't be as successful if they hadn't pushed the envelope so hard so fast (because it generates ridiculous amounts of media buzz), but dammit I want a normal-looking car!

"HEY I'M AN EV LOOK AT ME".

The Model 3 design does not say that at all.

Going from a design that apes Maserati/Jaguar/Aston Martin to a unique corporate design does not make Model 3 a wierdmobile.

And it is off to as much a wild success as anyone could have hoped for with 400k pre-orders.

Wierdmobiles that don't appeal to the wide center of the consumer market don't get 400k pre-orders. Those people voted with 1000 Dollars/Pounds/Euros not internet postings.

Oh come on. The whole appeal of Tesla is you get the electric vehicle in a normal, cool-looking package. You can't get that with ANY other EV on the planet. I'm sure other EVs would be popular too with the mainstream crowd if they looked like real cars.

Frankly, I'm rather disappointed that we won't be getting a normal-looking car with the 3. Tesla is trying to make EVs mainstream... the logical choice is to make an EV that looks normal (i.e. doesn't turn heads in a bad way). Got that with the S and it was wildly successful, but there is no way in hell I can afford that. Why couldn't we get that with the 3 too? Now it's back to smushed potatoes and design elements that scream "HEY I'M AN EV LOOK AT ME".

Selfishly, I really wish Tesla had waited another couple generations before straying into weirdmobile territory. All I wanted was a cemented lineup with one luxury sedan, one luxury SUV, one entry sedan, and one entry SUV that all looked like modern, cool cars a la BMW/Audi/Mercedes. But we only got one of those four. I suspect the Y will be hideously "aerodynamic" given the aggressive direction they've taken so far. Probably look like a literal teardrop.

Tesla forced their hand too quickly and are still relying on the S with the old nosecone to convince people that Tesla is cool along with the rest of their cars. When most people hear "Tesla", they think "Model S with nosecone". At some point, people will hear "Tesla" and think "that weird bulbous car that looks like it's been in an accident".

I like the 3. Well, mostly, but it is a little odd-looking. I'll still buy one because, while it sure sounds like I am, I'm really not that concerned with looks, given its other merits. A lot of complaining over here, but it's deserved based on the absolutely beautiful job Tesla did with the S. They have the potential to make a damn good-looking car, and it's frustrating when they try to force people into the future instead of gradual nudging. And now we all have no choice because this is supposed to be the affordable EV that's cool and techy. It's not perfect, but it's the best we'll get for a looooong time.

I'll take the measly 10 mile range hit if it means a mustache. I will 100% gladly take the 20 mile range hit if I get something similar to the classic S nosecone. Although something tells me those features don't really add that many more miles. They are such a small portion of the car that in the grand scheme of things, are almost negligible to the Cd. Hell, Mercedes imagined a car more aerodynamic than the S with an enormous front grill.

I understand that maybe Tesla wouldn't be as successful if they hadn't pushed the envelope so hard so fast (because it generates ridiculous amounts of media buzz), but dammit I want a normal-looking car!

Buy a Volt.