TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front end design of the Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dgindio, May 12, 2016.

1. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

Senior age members of the Tesla Motors Club will remember an individual who had a great reputation for customizing cars in the 1950's. His name was
    George Barris. I can only guess how he would redesign the front end of the Model 3 but it would be an improvement for sure. The following link contains photos of vehicles he designed in the past.
    barris automotive customizing - AOL Image Search Results

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

You've got to be senior age to link to AOL images.. :) The old batmobile is cool.

Might I introduce you to Google Images

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

George Barris was a legend in his time, but that time is long gone. He paid no attention to aerodynamics, which is critical to EVs. The Model 3 front end looks terrific aesthetically, and also undoubtedly has excellent aerodynamics.

• Like x 2
  4. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

In the 50's people designed cars pretty much purely for looks. The exterior design of todays vehicles...especially EVs has to serve a functional purpose first and foremost. The front end on the M3 has taken a lot of hits. That fact leads me to the thought that this particular design feature must have a significant impact on some other part of the functionality of the car...my guess would be in aerodynamics although I certainly would not consider myself even remotely knowledgeable on the subject. If this feature gives us more range, more efficiency, etc. I say leave it alone and let the designers do what they do. I think it is a great looking car, even if it may have a bit of a stiff upper lip. ;)

Dan

• Like x 1
  5. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Beat me to it!

Dan

6. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

The front of the Model 3 just needs to look like the new front on the new shape Model S. That looks really nice!

• Like x 1
  7. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I wonder what the cutout near the logo does to the drag on the model S though.

8. Big-T

Big-T Member

Didn't he die recently?

9. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

yeah, Nov last year

10. Jayc

Jayc Member

#10 Jayc, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    I wonder how many threads we have here with the same set of people calling for a change to this or that design. Even more surprising how many want Model 3 to look like a normal car.

This is a unique car and its design is purpose driven, its design elements will be like no other because Tesla is re-writing the design rule book with this one and they are in a unique position to do so - this being an EV. They will certainly require every trick at their disposal to reach a Cd of 0.21. Very unlikely it will end up looking like an another car.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  11. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

What do you mean? It does look like a normal car. It's the other EV makers who deliberately bake into their design a "hey look at me, I'm an electric vehicle!" ethos that usually does more harm than good.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

I can understand not liking the current design.... But aside from the short lived novelty, I don't see anything in those pictures that I would pay money for.

13. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

I'm going to photoshop my registration plate onto a picture of the Model 3. I will be transferring my private plate to it when it arrives, so will get a good idea.

14. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

In the UK, we have to display a white numberplate on the front, so a very rough approximation would look like this; This works with the front end, as it breaks up the solid single piece of one colour.

Attached Files:

15. eisbock

eisbock Member

Oh come on. The whole appeal of Tesla is you get the electric vehicle in a normal, cool-looking package. You can't get that with ANY other EV on the planet. I'm sure other EVs would be popular too with the mainstream crowd if they looked like real cars.

Frankly, I'm rather disappointed that we won't be getting a normal-looking car with the 3. Tesla is trying to make EVs mainstream... the logical choice is to make an EV that looks normal (i.e. doesn't turn heads in a bad way). Got that with the S and it was wildly successful, but there is no way in hell I can afford that. Why couldn't we get that with the 3 too? Now it's back to smushed potatoes and design elements that scream "HEY I'M AN EV LOOK AT ME".

Selfishly, I really wish Tesla had waited another couple generations before straying into weirdmobile territory. All I wanted was a cemented lineup with one luxury sedan, one luxury SUV, one entry sedan, and one entry SUV that all looked like modern, cool cars a la BMW/Audi/Mercedes. But we only got one of those four. I suspect the Y will be hideously "aerodynamic" given the aggressive direction they've taken so far. Probably look like a literal teardrop.

Tesla forced their hand too quickly and are still relying on the S with the old nosecone to convince people that Tesla is cool along with the rest of their cars. When most people hear "Tesla", they think "Model S with nosecone". At some point, people will hear "Tesla" and think "that weird bulbous car that looks like it's been in an accident".

I like the 3. Well, mostly, but it is a little odd-looking. I'll still buy one because, while it sure sounds like I am, I'm really not that concerned with looks, given its other merits. A lot of complaining over here, but it's deserved based on the absolutely beautiful job Tesla did with the S. They have the potential to make a damn good-looking car, and it's frustrating when they try to force people into the future instead of gradual nudging. And now we all have no choice because this is supposed to be the affordable EV that's cool and techy. It's not perfect, but it's the best we'll get for a looooong time.

I'll take the measly 10 mile range hit if it means a mustache. I will 100% gladly take the 20 mile range hit if I get something similar to the classic S nosecone. Although something tells me those features don't really add that many more miles. They are such a small portion of the car that in the grand scheme of things, are almost negligible to the Cd. Hell, Mercedes imagined a car more aerodynamic than the S with an enormous front grill.

I understand that maybe Tesla wouldn't be as successful if they hadn't pushed the envelope so hard so fast (because it generates ridiculous amounts of media buzz), but dammit I want a normal-looking car!

16. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

The Model 3 design does not say that at all.

Going from a design that apes Maserati/Jaguar/Aston Martin to a unique corporate design does not make Model 3 a wierdmobile.

And it is off to as much a wild success as anyone could have hoped for with 400k pre-orders.

Wierdmobiles that don't appeal to the wide center of the consumer market don't get 400k pre-orders. Those people voted with 1000 Dollars/Pounds/Euros not internet postings.

• Like x 3
  17. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

I am 100% convinced that the Model 3 will have the mustache after seeing the updated Model S front end. It is clearly going to be the new Tesla "corporate look."

• Like x 1
  18. arjay

arjay member

Holy cowbells, I can get a 10 mile increase in range with no mustache? Done! Love it.

• Like x 1
  19. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Buy a Volt.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm confused. The Model 3 front end only differs from the X and S by the mustache. I don't think the presence or absence of the mustache turns a car from a normal looking car to a weirdmobile.

By the time the 3 comes out the older Model S cars with the nose cone are going to look really dated.

• Like x 3