Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate it!

12801579_10153447443405848_4620470705587644385_n.jpg

Here is a quick photoshop job of how it would look without the duck face. It's a bit bland, but feels neutral as the eye will focus on the overall shape of the car and its prettier design elements. The duck face is distracting from certain angles, especially from straight front (car appears "angry"), but from other angles the "blunt" front adds character.

I would also think that a smoother nose would help with lowering the drag coefficient.

cE9muXu.jpg
This is pretty close to how I envisioned it. Well done. The sharp line is too sporty and the rounded nose is more elegant and S-like.

I'm honored. Lines and curves flow. Visually, the Model 3 is an impressive design. Nearly every angle is spot on. It is because of this that the blunt nose seemed so out of place to my design sensibilities. I understand design is a subjective thing but typically it's rare to see just one design line or feature to be discordant with the whole.

Mihai did a great job conveying my idea.

View attachment 170589
I just realized the hood line isn't pointy, it's flat in the original. I think this would be a good design if you got rid of the point (in both places) and replaced it with a nice arc.

The point is too aggressive and isn't really Tesla-esque. All their cars are built around smooth arcing features, so such a sharp angle seems out of place. It wouldn't be much of a change, but I think it would make a huge difference.

Here is a quick photoshop job of how it would look without the duck face. It's a bit bland, but feels neutral as the eye will focus on the overall shape of the car and its prettier design elements. The duck face is distracting from certain angles, especially from straight front (car appears "angry"), but from other angles the "blunt" front adds character.

I would also think that a smoother nose would help with lowering the drag coefficient.

cE9muXu.jpg

This is by far my favorite edit. It doesn't require the fake grill (which I don't like) and softens the blunt nose but it is still a little blunt.

cE9muXu.jpg

Perfect! As long as there's room in the front for number plates.

CfGOqcaW8AI9zyP.jpg

That blue car, does it have a grill or is that just a shadow? Hi Elon!

I believe that is just a shadow. I think that is one of the novel things of the X and 3 front design. The front area is slightly angled down, not reflecting most light, but reflecting the ground which is usually dark. So even with the same paint color you get a darker "shadow" or "ghost" grill.

Was a bit shocking on first reveal, but now I really hope Tesla doesn't change it.

Hello, new here and here because of the Model 3. I'm in line for a Focus RS right now but fully intend to buy a Model three in years to come.

I love everything about it but for me, the styling falls apart on the flat front area. I realize it doesn't need a grill but the lines would be more appealing if they flowed better at that point. Hoping for changes as the introduction continues.

I'm honored. Lines and curves flow. Visually, the Model 3 is an impressive design. Nearly every angle is spot on. It is because of this that the blunt nose seemed so out of place to my design sensibilities. I understand design is a subjective thing but typically it's rare to see just one design line or feature to be discordant with the whole.

Mihai did a great job conveying my idea.

View attachment 170589

That's more like it!

I've seen all of these suggestions you guys have made and have had mixed feelings. I think most of us like the original design except for it being maybe a *tad* too much. I think it needs a VERY slight revision to make it much more attractive. I've seen the grilled and rounded versions but they all seem too safe/boring and lack a signature bold look. You don't want it to look like a 90's Miata. I think the "snout" is making a statement about NOT needing a grill for air intake. It's the look of the future. I do think the original design is a little *too* overpowering where your attention is drawn too much to the front of the car, making you ignore the rest. Yes, it does look a little like pouty lips, a duck, or mouthless Keanu. Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

tesla-model-3-snout-orig-vs-mod.jpg