Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front facing camera heating element on while parked despite Sentry disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI Guys,

Ok, could someone please clarify to me, should frontal camera heater work when defrost is on and sentry is off?
Yes, according to Tesla when I raised a bug report and subsequently fixed, it should, when full defrost mode is on. But if you are just using climate (rather than 'defrost car' mode) to heat the cabin, even if from the app, then as far as I can see, its simply going to behave according to conditions, ie it may or may not use the cabin heater, in the same way that, depending on climate conditions, it may or may not use the air con of heaters.

Its even more important that screen in front of camera is clear now that Radar has been removed.

1678365695600.png

Yes, according to Tesla when I raised a bug report and subsequently fixed, it should, when full defrost mode is on. But if you are just using climate (rather than 'defrost car' mode) to heat the cabin, even if from the app, then as far as I can see, its simply going to behave according to conditions, ie it may or may not use the cabin heater, in the same way that, depending on climate conditions, it may or may not use the air con of heaters.

Its even more important that screen in front of camera is clear now that Radar has been removed.

View attachment 915664
Thanks much appreciated, I've used defrost in the morning and got everything defrosted except front camera.

Thanks much appreciated, I've used defrost in the morning and got everything defrosted except front camera.
That does not sound right, at least, not as of a couple of years back, although this functionality had regressed before. Did you notice if (certainly for a Model 3) the outside edge of the windscreen along the (UK) passenger side A pillar roofline to central camera position had created a defrost line? ie as here

Do you know if the camera has ever defrosted?

There is a post somewhere that documents the behaviour of the defrost element over a period of time, incl. some attempts to highlight what defrost combinations did/did not work - there was some talk that it may be related to seat haters iirc, although for me, Tesla said they were going to release a fix and things started working as you would expect, although possibly only until now?

Thread here

Last edited:
That does not sound right, at least, not as of a couple of years back, although this functionality had regressed before. Did you notice if (certainly for a Model 3) the outside edge of the windscreen along the (UK) passenger side A pillar roofline to central camera position had created a defrost line? ie as here

Do you know if the camera has ever defrosted?

There is a post somewhere that documents the behaviour of the defrost element over a period of time, incl. some attempts to highlight what defrost combinations did/did not work - there was some talk that it may be related to seat haters iirc, although for me, Tesla said they were going to release a fix and things started working as you would expect, although possibly only until now?

Thread here
I have model S, this morning it wasn't cold enough to test, so maybe tomorrow I'll try.
1678454347650.png

Its thats had a defrost then that definitely does not look right. If you are on latest firmware for your vehicle then I guess its a matter of raising it with Tesla. Hopefully its still under warranty, if not, maybe a bit more digging around is needed.

Its thats had a defrost then that definitely does not look right. If you are on latest firmware for your vehicle then I guess its a matter of raising it with Tesla. Hopefully its still under warranty, if not, maybe a bit more digging around is needed.
Thanks, yes i did open the case, but they didn't respond yet. I'm on latest fw. I'll try to test it next time it freezes. There is also chance that Autoglass, who replaced the windscreen recently didn't connect it or something.

If I was a betting man, it would be on the autoglass connection

Hope it works out.
Thanks, Unfortunately it doesn't work in any mode: defrost/preheat, even with sentry enabled...
PS. I had a awful experience with them, they scratched my dashboard, newly installed glass had scratches on insight and now this... I bet wiper area heater also doesn't work...

Does anyone have some additional info regarding how to activate front cameras heating during driving? I have 2022 EU LR and this “feature” seems doesn’t work at all. I got a lot messages “front camera blocked or blinded”. I consider to put there silica gel and try to seal it (when it will be frosty), can’t go to service for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 14
Does anyone have some additional info regarding how to activate front cameras heating during driving? I have 2022 EU LR and this “feature” seems doesn’t work at all. I got a lot messages “front camera blocked or blinded”. I consider to put there silica gel and try to seal it (when it will be frosty), can’t go to service for now.
use sentry mode during preheat

Reactions: melvladimir
So, during driving there is no way to activate this heating zone?
It seems Tesla need “tuning”:
- separate switcher for mirrors heater;
- separate switcher for heater of front cameras.
I hope I won’t come to adding manual switcher
It should be on during driving if conditions are met.
You can't switch it on manually, there is no way to switch it on, even from Toolbox3 on legacy Model S and X (but you can do it on Model 3/Y and i think refresh S and X).

Reactions: melvladimir