Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front facing camera heating element on while parked despite Sentry disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car's been parked for a couple of days and this evening, one of my security type cameras caught this;

1670973163824.png

which appears to show that the front facing camera area heating element is on.

Sentry is disabled, car doesn't get plugged in while at home. I checked with the app which was showing the interior at -5 degC so definitely haven't left climate on or anything.

Software is 2022.44.something

Any ideas or thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Car's been parked for a couple of days and this evening, one of my security type cameras caught this;

View attachment 884641

which appears to show that the front facing camera area heating element is on.

Sentry is disabled, car doesn't get plugged in while at home. I checked with the app which was showing the interior at -5 degC so definitely haven't left climate on or anything.

Software is 2022.44.something

Any ideas or thoughts?

I also noticed this on my car a couple of days go (2021 M3 LR)

Model? Year?
Its in my signature and its not a BMW :cool:

Model 3 LR late 21

All joking aside, the only thing I have done different to every other day when I park up, was to disable mirror folding as they had previously failed to unfold due to frost and of course I was expecting a few days of sub zero. Would doubt that was a contributing factor right enough.

I've popped my head out just now and it's still the same, currently -7 degC

Its in my signature and its not a BMW :cool:

Model 3 LR late 21

All joking aside, the only thing I have done different to every other day when I park up, was to disable mirror folding as they had previously failed to unfold due to frost and of course I was expecting a few days of sub zero. Would doubt that was a contributing factor right enough.

I've popped my head out just now and it's still the same, currently -7 degC
Signatures don’t show on mobile :(

Sounds very strange. Only thing that makes sense - assuming the car isn’t awake - is that the heating element is connected to live 12v or something, but that would drain the battery fairly quickly I would’ve thought.

Perhaps worth opening a service request for?

Reactions: plisken
Oh no it hasn’t … not without sentry anyway

View attachment 884842
Well sentry didn't exist then. So how did that spot magically melt? That picture and about 30 more I have over the last 5 years. Some sentry some not. Same behavior. Car had sat for couple days.

Just taking a one shot flir in 2019 really doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Well sentry didn't exist then. So how did that spot magically melt? That picture and about 30 more I have over the last 5 years. Some sentry some not. Same behavior. Car had sat for couple days.

Just taking a one shot flir really doesn't mean anything.
I’ve got dozens of other photos over 3 years that also show no melt. In fact for a period of time, it was the only part of the windscreen that never melted due to a Tesla bug.

Maybe a UK thing? No because if it was intentional there would be a line around the passenger side of the window where the heating element has warmed.

It is likely to be a result of side effect of warmth from cameras as 0 evidence of any intentional heating of that area going on in either shot.

Why are those cameras now warm in OP’s shot is the real question - it’s a new phenomenon for them.

This is what happens when that area is intentionally heated. Note the warmth from heating element running along top and down passenger side of screen.

1671008473812.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got dozens of other photos over 3 years that also show no melt
How many of those were cold soaked cars? Days and days of no driving. Not just a sprinkle of snow and frost. No coating applied to glass.

Sure some might want to make a service appointment. Just wasting time of service center as one discovers more about ones car.

Pull the draw for the line if the OP is so concerned about a phantom drain.. Truly negligible.

Saw an edit to a post of above photo. Sentry was released in 2019. Not sure why flir dated photo has any reference. Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla | Tesla

Last edited:
likely to be a result of side effect of warmth from cameras as 0 evidence of any intentional heating of that area going on in either shot.
Not sure intent has anything to do withit it. That is all I have ever said. The camera acts on its own. Whether that is not is its intent I don't know. I also never said it was a heating element. I all I said this is how the car behaves, and does. My picture no heating element was used and a S and 3 sat cold soaked for days.

Did I say snow was better? Many don't know what a truly cold soaked car is. As in sat for days without driving and not conditioned. Confused about your comment.

Edit add: the card reader on the side of the car will also do the same thing around frost. Doubt intentional, but if something has current it also has resistance.

I did the full "de-frost" precondition from the app the other morning and the only bit that wasn't melted clear was that front camera patch!
Please don't say that one is back...

tl;dr - fixed in 2021.40.6 - now broken again?

Last edited: