Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front left noise above 40mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anytime I drive faster than 40 I hear a noise that’s akin to a hot water heater heating up or a light rain on a tin roof. My wife fell asleep on a long drive through San Diego and woke up asking if it was raining (it was 80 degrees and sunny). It’s annoying. I took it in and Tesla said it was fixed, but it’s not. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what’s the fix?

This is practically a brand new 2019 with less than 2,500 miles.

Anytime I drive faster than 40 I hear a noise that’s akin to a hot water heater heating up or a light rain on a tin roof. My wife fell asleep on a long drive through San Diego and woke up asking if it was raining (it was 80 degrees and sunny). It’s annoying. I took it in and Tesla said it was fixed, but it’s not. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what’s the fix?

This is practically a brand new 2019 with less than 2,500 miles.
I had an issue with a loose wheel well cowling, it'd create tapping at about that speed. The fix was the Ranger putting their magic felt tape on it and the inside of the fender where the cowling was contacting the fender well. You can check see if this is an issue by tapping the cowling with your finger and seeing if it makes a sharp tapping sound in response.

What piece? I don’t see anything external. And after keeping the car for 5 days and telling me it’s fixed I want to be specific with service as to what needs to be done. Thx!
Just get into service and be specific about how to reproduce. If you can give them a specific section of road near the SC to reproduce it on that's even better. Or maybe you'll get lucky and get assigned a Ranger to meet you.

If they are having
difficulty finding the noise, just offer to ride with them. It could be all sorts of different things. I've found the techs that work for Tesla, especially the Rangers, and very experienced. They are mostly poached from other luxury brand shops. :)

The piece I was talking
about is that flexible black liner in the wheel well, front and back, that goes all the way around the inside.

What piece? I don’t see anything external. And after keeping the car for 5 days and telling me it’s fixed I want to be specific with service as to what needs to be done. Thx!

Read the thread I linked. It has photos and descriptions of what I and several other people noticed about our cars that could have been causing wind noise, and in my case at least, it was the cause.

There’s a plastic triangle piece next to the side view mirrors. In some cars evidently, the piece sticks out farther than it should.

Reactions: dwalme
I had an issue with a loose wheel well cowling, it'd create tapping at about that speed. The fix was the Ranger putting their magic felt tape on it and the inside of the fender where the cowling was contacting the fender well. You can check see if this is an issue by tapping the cowling with your finger and seeing if it makes a sharp tapping sound in response.

I had this exact same issue. I had the exact same fix too! It drive me crazy for two weeks.

Read the thread I linked. It has photos and descriptions of what I and several other people noticed about our cars that could have been causing wind noise, and in my case at least, it was the cause.

There’s a plastic triangle piece next to the side view mirrors. In some cars evidently, the piece sticks out farther than it should.

Tesla is replacing the triangle trim and the windshield. Apparently the glass wasn’t flush when installed.

Update: Tesla swapped out the windshield but for some reason didn’t do the triangle by the window. The sound remains.

Any thoughts on what to do besides pull out my hair?
Which service center are you dealing with? Hard to believe that they would go to the expense of replacing the windshield if they weren’t sure that’s where the sound was originating from.