Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Left Speaker/Dash Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent nearly an hour doing a ride along with a technician and I think we have finally found the source of the creaking noise. Idk how helpful this might be to other people but I thought I would share it in hopes that it isn’t just specific to my vehicle.

Where the wood dash runs into the back of the center screen mount, it was much tighter on one side than the other and there seemed to be a slight rubbing that was causing the dash piece to flex and creak as it reverberated. The mobile tech stuck a piece of foam in there so that it no longer made contact and I haven’t noticed the same incessant noise anymore. It has been a little over a week without it returning so I’m hoping that was it. Worth a check for everyone else who has already addressed the speaker grill, dash, steering column housing, etc without a resolution.

I have been having this EXACT same issue ever since I got my car in January. I also had the annoying VIN plate rattle, which took me 3 visits to SC to get fixed, first SC didn't seem like they knew what they were doing (they replaced my entire windshield and still couldn't manage to fix it). And then the 2nd one fixed it, and as I picked up my car and started driving home I heard the rattle coming from the front dashboard speaker area on the driver side. Immediately went back to show them, and poof, the rattle was no longer there and they couldn't verify it. I even had taken video as proof, but due to COVID issues they couldn't help me, but it's the rattle occurring and when I place my hand over that speaker part on the dash, it silences it. Anyways, now I moved to Texas, and SC are pretty far from where I live, but if there's a DIY fix with foam to fix the sound, I'd love to just do it myself and take care of the issue once and for all! Where exactly do you place the foam?

I was just about to go insane with this noise. I watched all the videos, removed the front speaker grill, felt taped everything under the dash and in the door. I have to say there are some rattles I got rid of in this process but this squeaky noise in the corner of the dash on the driver's side was there when I went in and out of a driveway or on a little bumpy road. My answer and I can't say it will be yours, was to open the funk and where the windshield wiper goes into the plastic was where my noise on the inside of the car was coming from. I put some felt tape under the plastic around where the windshield wiper bolts into the car. There was also a place where this plastic piece went under part of the windshield and there is a gap there. Another piece of the felt tape got wedged in there. I noticed that there were some dried leaves in this indentation that is where the windshield wiper plastic makes this cup and those were also possibly adding to the noise. It is gone! Finally! I hope this helps someone else. An excellent car is just too quiet for its own good.

fix.jpg

Reactions: CarlThompson
I have the same exact rattle. Front left speaker grill. When it happens if I hold the grill down in the corner where it almost touches the A pillar it stops. Not sure whats there that would make it rattle, seems there is already foam around the speaker.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 113