TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front license plate revealed

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NielsChr, Jun 22, 2012.

1. onlinespending

Yeah, as long as it doesn't put any holes in the car I'm all for complying with my state's laws. The last thing I need is for a cop to pull me over for something silly like not having a front license plate and then nab me for something else

2. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Thanks for mentioning that; I didn't think to click. Hmm, I think it might be connected at the bottom, actually (maybe both). I don't remember what the front really looks like though.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yep! And they look too. Not worth it but people seem to get away with it. I think it's one of those things that you may not get pulled over for just no front plate but if they pull you over for anything else, they'll use your lack of front plate against you. Very happy if Tesla listened and came up with a non-destructive front plate bracket that looks decent.

4. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

I hope I can go with that hide a plate solution that only shows the plates after I park or stop.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Concur. I'm glad it doesn't block the V containing the Tesla logo.

6. Tommy

Tommy Member

It looked to me that a few of the Model S did not have the front bracket and the owners were from California; will have to take a look again after the replay is posted to be sure. The best scenario going forward, is the car can leave the factory without a front bracket and it will be the owner's responsibility to mount the license plate. It would be great if Tesla provided a power connector in the vicinity of the front plate for those that are inclined to install the motorized front license bracket.

7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I did a quick picture of a license onto that area, with white CA plates. It looks acceptable. I have been pulled over for no front plate, mostly for harassment because I was driving a sexy car at the time. Never got pulled over in my minivan! I will probably put a plate on the front, and since 90% of CA cars have one, it will not look out of place. I bet I still get a good looking over by the local gendarmes.

I see 3 bolt holes or some such on the license plate area, looks like into the bumper area.

8. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

My state requires a front plate. In the future, there will certainly be Model S owners relocating or selling their vehicles to someone in a state where a front plate is not required. Wondering if any “scars” will be noticeable.

9. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

I wonder about drill holes on the nose to accommodate the plate. I hope not and can see them mounting that without scaring.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Please share.

11. hj-45

hj-45 Member

This picture clearly shows the grille for the radiator in the front fascia. Explains why the license plate holder was placed above, which is not consistent with the spectacular looks of the rest of the car. Not sure what I will do, but I wouldn't want to block any of the grille with an aftermarket plate holder. In NH, the police have eyes like hawks looking for a matching color inspection sticker and registration sticker. Either one is missing and you'll definitely get pulled.

Tesla-Model-S-front-fascia.jpg

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

It blends in very well which explains why I missed it during the event. BTW, that is a great combo behind Mr. B.

13. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I wish we could get lower profile front plates in California. You're not required to have stickers on your front plates, so what would be the harm in offering a smaller size for the front? Charge an extra fee for them, whatever.

FWIW, Tesla's solution here looks about as good as I could expect. At least as good as my old BMW M3.

14. strider

strider Active Member

I have used aftermarket front plate brackets that block part of the cooling-airflow openings on both my C6 Corvette and Roadster. Have not had any problems with cooling efficiency. You're not likely to run the car that close to its operating envelope for it to make a difference.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Franz said the front licence plate receivers holes and tow hook receiver are behind the bumper. Was never quite sure how one would access them.

Note. If you look (better yet feel) the font bumper it sticks out about two inches. Plenty of area to do an aftermarket licence bracket that comes out from under that protrusion the have a bracket float the plate out front. either lower or higher to taste.

He said don't mount a plate on the front. He never has (on his Solstice) and at LAX he puts the plate on the dash and never has gotten a ticket.

16. dsm363

Good to know. The license plate in the windshield doesn't work in Texas now though so glad the holes don't go through the bumper.

17. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

#37 widodh, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    We saw the first pictures on Autoweek.nl with a Model S with german front and back plates.

I've attached the pictures below.

I like it! Seems rather nice those German plates on a Model S. All European license plates are the same size. Only the Dutch plates are yellow.

m1ny25pbebpt.jpg
    m1ny25pbcrpu.jpg

18. dsm363

The long, narrow European plates don't look as bad on the front. The ones in the US are simply too large. I wonder why Texas couldn't have separately sized plates for the front too.

19. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Yeah, thought the same. European plates indeed look much better.

20. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Yeah, that's not so bad. I don't know why states can't do long plates for an extra fee for cars clearly designed to a Euro sensibility...