Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my Model 3 is almost a year old and it's been a flawless ride so far. Today I got this Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault warning on the screen, and wonder if anyone else has seen this and what the outcome was. I've made a mobile appointment for repair, but am curious to learn more beforehand.

Thanks.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I also started receiving this error 4 months ago. Initially it had been intermittent, but eventually constant. It took 4 months to get the "part" which was replaced a week ago. Unfortunately , three days later the error appeared again. When speaking with one of the techs, I got the impression this was a common problem as the parts were in short supply. So, I scheduled another service visit. I'm getting that sinking feeling...
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.27.06 AM.png

I've been getting this message on and off for months. Evidently there is some sensor malfunction that requires a service kit. When I stopped at a TSC, i was advised, "Make an appointment." But I was not told that it would be only a few minutes.
SeatSensor warning.jpg

Had my appointment with a mobile tech, today. Took ten minutes. Installed something under the seat, presumably to prevent spurious signals. Have my fingers crossed.

While here, checked tire pressures -- "California Mandate" ???

This happened to me when I moved the passenger seat to the back then the front to vacuum the carpet. After a lot of fiddling, moving the seat back and then all the way up I could easily see connectors up under the front of the seat. One was clearly way out further than an adjacent one. Pushed it in. Unfortunately it didn't "click" which is apparently what the underlying issue is. But now I know.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07
One of my buddies had this. A partially open water bottle leaked on the seat and it went thru the stitches and wet something in there. While waiting for SC appt. it went away (Prob dried), to never return.

I wonder if this seat sensor is a common prob and they are "installing a repair kit" (Unplugging the sensor and shunting it)...So it doesnt work anymore.

One of my buddies had this. A partially open water bottle leaked on the seat and it went thru the stitches and wet something in there. While waiting for SC appt. it went away (Prob dried), to never return.

I wonder if this seat sensor is a common prob and they are "installing a repair kit" (Unplugging the sensor and shunting it)...So it doesnt work anymore.
I doubt that. The Occupant Classification System is very important - the Restraint Control Module uses input from the OCS and the seat position to determine how powerfully the airbags should fire in an accident. So not only does the OCS determine if someone is in the seat, it's also looking at how heavy that person is to determine if the airbag vents should be deployed to reduce airbag force. Also, it uses three sensors - an occupancy switch system, a capacitive pad for the seat, and the capacitive pad for the seat back.
"The Occupant Classification System measures the capacitance on the seat back and seat pad to determine the occupant contact area in the front passenger seat.. The electronic control unit compares this capacitance change to the internally stored threshold to determine whether the seat is occupied, and what size of passenger is detected"

• Informative
Reactions: julit0 and GtiMart
I hate to post this again but I just can't imagine that my experience is unique rather than a common issue. Moving the seat and putting stress on a harness, a connector came loose; pushing it back in fixed the issue. The underlying problem is that the connector does not snap in. I don't know why but unlikely is it unique to my car 12/14/2019. It is very easy to find this by moving the seat back a bit and raising the front of the seat up as far as possible. Then you can easily look up and under the front and you will see the wires with connectors pointing to the front. One will be out further than the other. Push it in. Done.

I hate to post this again but I just can't imagine that my experience is unique rather than a common issue. Moving the seat and putting stress on a harness, a connector came loose; pushing it back in fixed the issue. The underlying problem is that the connector does not snap in. I don't know why but unlikely is it unique to my car 12/14/2019. It is very easy to find this by moving the seat back a bit and raising the front of the seat up as far as possible. Then you can easily look up and under the front and you will see the wires with connectors pointing to the front. One will be out further than the other. Push it in. Done.

The SC wrote down that a wire was pinched and replaced on mine. Can you send a picture of what you are talking about though? It could help in the future.

Here is a pic of looking at the front of the seat with your head on the carpet. If the seat is up you can see some cables. The second pic is sticking your head under the seat just a bit and looking up. You are seeing the same cable, for reference. The two connectors a visible. The one with the yellow wire was not pushed in on mine, sticking out a good half inch. Just pushed it in. I didn't hear/feel click, but today taking pictures it is well locked in.

seat.jpg
connectors2.jpg