Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger window randomly goes down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience their front passenger window randomly going down? It happens almost every day, this morning when I walked out to go to work at 6am, yes its a Saturday long story, the window was down. Luckily it didn't rain over night, just dew on the ground. Any idea what makes it do that and any way to make it stop? I thought it may have been outside wireless signals doing it, but it isn't. Although, I did have my phone on with Bluetooth active but my car isn't connected to the app yet, just got it on July 5th. And that's another irritating thing, why is it taking so long for Tesla to add my car to my account? I assume they are getting thousands of requests a week and probably playing catch up from quarter end. So no worries there other than playing the waiting game. Luckily I'm an expert at waiting. But any suggestions about the window thing would be appreciated.

Curious if you locked car. Methinks locking would keep all windows from randomly opening. Over time likely the switches in question may work themselves in, thus solving issue for this factory-fresh car. If not bring back to Service.
--

Curious if you locked car. Methinks locking would keep all windows from randomly opening. Over time likely the switches in question may work themselves in, thus solving issue for this factory-fresh car. If not bring back to Service.
--
It is not factory fresh, about 6 months old. It was not locked, I live basically in the middle of no where, no security problems. I may have to bring it into service. Only happens randomly, even while driving and the doors locked. I am at work today so it is locked, will see if the window rolls down while locked.

There are other threads about this issue. I just looked but couldn't find the one that I was looking for.

This was happening to us with my wife's model 3, never with my S. The thread that helped indicated that we were likely pressing the window switches while exiting the car. This means the most likely windows to get rolled down are the passenger front and rear.

Since then, we have paid attention to how we place our hands when exiting. A couple fo times I have caught myself doing it "wrong" and rolling the down the window but since I am aware what is happening I know to check for it and correct it.

The window switches take very little movement to activate and are placed in a position that is easy to activate while exiting.

You may have a different issue but this "solved" our problem.

There are other threads about this issue. I just looked but couldn't find the one that I was looking for.

This was happening to us with my wife's model 3, never with my S. The thread that helped indicated that we were likely pressing the window switches while exiting the car. This means the most likely windows to get rolled down are the passenger front and rear.

Since then, we have paid attention to how we place our hands when exiting. A couple fo times I have caught myself doing it "wrong" and rolling the down the window but since I am aware what is happening I know to check for it and correct it.

The window switches take very little movement to activate and are placed in a position that is easy to activate while exiting.

You may have a different issue but this "solved" our problem.

This happened to me also. Note that your windows will still go up and down even after you open the door, unlike most other cars. If you are using the door to help get you out of the car, this could very well be your problem. Now when I get out i'm very careful not to put my hand near the switch. Haven't had this problem since.

That was the first thing I checked. I have checked the placement of the patella and phalanges upon driving and exit. No issue there, but no joke, it rolls down on its own. I am thinking it may be a bad switch on either the driver or passenger side. Haven't isolated which one yet. I do my own maintenance on vehicles and I have worked on plenty of ICE cars. Currently have 3 in the driveway (that run). Aside from it being a sweet car, I bought the m3 for financial savings over the cost of my f150 with a 38 gal tank at 12 mpg. But when it comes to the 3, I am not going to mess with anything until after the warranty runs out.

Not a Model 3, but a good friend’s Model S decided - spontaneously and completely on its own - to open up the rear hatch while being pounded with rain and hail. The trunk area was piled with ice pellets by the time we saw what was happening and ran outside to do something about it.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
The day I got my car I had this happen when I took my daughter to a store. Came back to the car and the passenger window was wide open, and I knew it was closed when we left, or at least when we got out.

I did contact service and they ultimately told me to recalibrate, however since that point it had never happened again, not necessarily because of the recalibration.

I honestly think that my daughter hit the button on the way out of the car and neither of us noticed. I mean, honestly, how often do you look back - especially to see the window on the other side of the car?

Regardless of the cause I believe it would be awesome if the remote had a way to check window status or manipulate windows.

Not a Model 3, but a good friend’s Model S decided - spontaneously and completely on its own - to open up the rear hatch while being pounded with rain and hail. The trunk area was piled with ice pellets by the time we saw what was happening and ran outside to do something about it.
Robin
Wow that would not be fun to walk out to. Hey do you have a Navion? If so, awesome plane. I used to fly an F35 bonanza on occasion.

The day I got my car I had this happen when I took my daughter to a store. Came back to the car and the passenger window was wide open, and I knew it was closed when we left, or at least when we got out.

I did contact service and they ultimately told me to recalibrate, however since that point it had never happened again, not necessarily because of the recalibration.

I honestly think that my daughter hit the button on the way out of the car and neither of us noticed. I mean, honestly, how often do you look back - especially to see the window on the other side of the car?

Regardless of the cause I believe it would be awesome if the remote had a way to check window status or manipulate windows.
I will have to try calibration. How do you do that? Nevermind, I'll check google.

Same here. I eventually discovered I was inadvertently opening the passenger window as I exited the vehicle and learned to be aware of it and avoid doing so.

This issue has been raised multiple times before, and here's my story again.

I was sitting in the passenger seat with my wife driving.
When she stopped and exited the car, she accidentally touched the passenger window control and the passenger window rolled down. I noticed it, since I was in the passenger set, and brought it to her attention.
Subsequently we are both a little more careful exiting the driver's seat to make sure we don't touch the window button, and now is it extremely rare we drop the passenger side window. And we generally usually check, as well.

Wow that would not be fun to walk out to. Hey do you have a Navion? If so, awesome plane. I used to fly an F35 bonanza on occasion.
I’ve had three Navions, and 29K was the best of the bunch (GO-480 engine from a Helio Courier). I’ve also owned a Model 36 Bonanza with tips and an IO-550, so it was an incredible traveling machine. I have often thought about finding a good P Model V tail. I really like the way they look and fly.
Robin

I’ve had three Navions, and 29K was the best of the bunch (GO-480 engine from a Helio Courier). I’ve also owned a Model 36 Bonanza with tips and an IO-550, so it was an incredible traveling machine. I have often thought about finding a good P Model V tail. I really like the way they look and fly.
Robin
Love the IO-550 engines, tons of power. I did see an A36 with a turbine engine one time in Camden, SC. The V tail is quite agile and smooth and does a nice positive G roll too. I had to give up flying about 10 years ago due to a medical situation, but my head will always be in the clouds, one reason I bought a 3 with a full glass roof. :)

Reactions: N5329K