Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Chinese cables arrived today. Will install them tonight. If you've ordered them or if you were on the list to receive the corrected cables free of charge, you should see them soon.

Picked up my camera on Tuesday,
Pondered a mounting solution for low mounted front license plates on Wednesday
Replacement cables arrived on Thursday
Can't wait for the final item to show up.

I'm very close to putting my name on the list. Just need to think of the ramifications of perhaps not being able to have warranty repair done (or taking it out before going to a service center). I'll have to review the instructions too.

That has not been an issue for me. Tesla has already worked on my car with my mods in full view, including the camera switch. They've actually admired them.

Picked up my camera on Tuesday,
Pondered a mounting solution for low mounted front license plates on Wednesday
Replacement cables arrived on Thursday
Can't wait for the final item to show up.

dsmith2189,

Let me know how it looks. I am planning to install it on the front license plate frame. I have the cables but need to order the camera. Did you order it through our SC?

Quick question -- when the switch kit ships, will it include an OBDII connector for power, or is that just an option we can explore ourselves if we choose to? Also, is the OBDII connector switched 12V, or always on?

Thanks.

-- nevermind. See in the first post OBDII connector will be included. Great, thanks.

Quick question -- when the switch kit ships, will it include an OBDII connector for power, or is that just an option we can explore ourselves if we choose to? Also, is the OBDII connector switched 12V, or always on?

Thanks.

-- nevermind. See in the first post OBDII connector will be included. Great, thanks.

We're planning to include the OBD2 connector. It's always on, that's why I rigged mine to fuse #75 in box 3. That's switched. But I still have the OBD2 connected for the ground.

We're planning to include the OBD2 connector. It's always on, that's why I rigged mine to fuse #75 in box 3. That's switched. But I still have the OBD2 connected for the ground.

Thanks. I'm looking to also hook up my dashcam to the ODBII power supply, so I was wondering if I needed to buy a plug or if one will come with the kit. Any rough idea when you might start shipping out the kits?

You might have already addressed this, but i cant remember. It would be interesting if the video out from this could also be piped out to be used for dash cam/gopro purposes.

We have thought about that, but the technical challenges would require a whole new design and it could only be done if WhiteP85 wants to take it on, and I can't speak for him. He's solved all the considerable technical problems to make this work

But it would be cool for sure.

Great news. I totally finished my install today. With my temporary mount of the camera switch case, the kick panel has been off for about a month and the guts under it exposed along with the switch case. This photo shows what I was living with. Not nice.

_DSC4558.jpg

Yesterday I experimented with positioning the PCB case so the kick panel could be reinstalled and all hidden away. After trying three or four locations I came to the conclusion that it there was no way the PCB case would fit under the kick panel. That was very discouraging, so I quit working on it thinking the whole thing would have to be redesigned to make it smaller, a depressing thought. I didn't have the heart to tell that to WhiteP85.

But I also began thinking immediately of alternative locations. There's a removable panel under the dash over the dead pedal, and I thought that might be a possiblity. I also thought it might fit behind the far left side of the dash in the space that's accessible when the small side panel is removed.

Today at Ajay's (ABVA) house for the Light T group install we did some final experimentation. With help from the crew, we removed the panel under the dash. No room there at all. Then we removed the panel on the side of the dash. With the cables attached there was no way to get it to fit. But with the cables disconnected the box fit quite easily. So I slipped the box into the space then plugged the cables in. As there was only enough room to get my left hand into the space, it was a bit difficult to plug the three cables in, but after fooling around for about 5 minutes I finally figured out a good technique. I don't have much dexterity with my left hand but someone who does might find it pretty easy.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

This ends up being a great space for the camera switch. It's easy to get it into the space, there's plenty of room, and once the cables are plugged, you just snap the side panel back into place and it's all completely hidden away.

We'll work this into the installation instructions. I couldn't more pleased at the end result.