Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Snap out these pieces" sounds terrifying to me! I'm petrified of snapping some plastic trim in two. Please tell where to pull from; a video would reduce nervousness by showing how much force is needed.

We'll cover this in the instructions. "Snap out" sounds much worse than it is. Basically you use a plastic pry tool to loosen a corner or side then gently remove the piece. These things are designed to be removed and they won't break unless really manhandled.

What would be cool is if there was a way to get the front Parking sensors to activate the front camera. Then it would be totally automatic. Is that even feasible?

I was under the impression that most people wanting this mod were people without parking sensors.

If I had parking sensors, I sure wouldn't be spending >$600 just to add a camera to the existing system.

I agree that a video would be desirable. I have looked at the pictures, and still do not understand how to go about snapping off the panel. This is the only thing about this project that gives me (and I imagine numerous other people) pause.

I agree that a video would be desirable. I have looked at the pictures, and still do not understand how to go about snapping off the panel. This is the only thing about this project that gives me (and I imagine numerous other people) pause.
That panel is incredibly easy to pop off. I have removed them from both sides several times, as I initially had my radar detector cpu located there. No special tool required. Just grap any thin tool that would not scratch the panel or leather, stick it in a couple of spots and pop it out. Should take about 5 seconds to remove it, and no force. Pops right back in.

Does the video signal that comes out of the Tesla camera adhere to a standard?

Would it be possible to use this setup but instead of hooking up a front camera, hook up a different video source such as some sort of ipod/iphone cable adaptor to play video on the center console screen.

I'm not advocating watching movies while the car is in motion, just wondering if this is a possible way of killing time when the car is parked.

I was going to reply it uses LVDS and its not easy to interface to that.... but a quick google search actually shows a bunch of converters that might actually work! This is a serious DIY hack with low probability it will work. But could make an interesting project.....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGA-HDMI-USB-AV-DVI-Single_1392129987.html?s=p

Does the video signal that comes out of the Tesla camera adhere to a standard?

Would it be possible to use this setup but instead of hooking up a front camera, hook up a different video source such as some sort of ipod/iphone cable adaptor to play video on the center console screen.

I'm not advocating watching movies while the car is in motion, just wondering if this is a possible way of killing time when the car is parked.

I was going to reply it uses LVDS and its not easy to interface to that.... but a quick google search actually shows a bunch of converters that might actually work! This is a serious DIY hack with low probability it will work. But could make an interesting project.....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGA-HDMI-USB-AV-DVI-Single_1392129987.html?s=p

Yes, it adheres to Telsa standards, which means that it's all custom. This would be a very challenging project. No standard hardware seems to work according to WhiteP85, who spent 2 months trying to get the camera switch designed and operational.

Yes, it adheres to Telsa standards, which means that it's all custom. This would be a very challenging project. No standard hardware seems to work according to WhiteP85, who spent 2 months trying to get the camera switch designed and operational.
I wouldn't be surprised if the fully-custom interface was to stave off exactly what GasDoc proposed. Using the camera input would be a nice backdoor to displaying video on a forward screen while in motion, a big no-no that, if I recall, carries large fines for the manufacturer.