Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My recollection from prior posts was that there is a short period of time (1 or 2 seconds) in which the 17 inch screen syncs up with the camera input, and during this time you get no picture on the screen.

My recollection from prior posts was that there is a short period of time (1 or 2 seconds) in which the 17 inch screen syncs up with the camera input, and during this time you get no picture on the screen.

Yes, for about two seconds you see this image as the switch is made between cameras:

_DSC3921.jpg

Yeah that's what the video showered. Just wondering if it's something that can be worked out or if it's something on teslas end.

Considering the project to help with pulling into spots, but just worried the lag would make it a bit impractical in actual use.

Yeah that's what the video showered. Just wondering if it's something that can be worked out or if it's something on teslas end.

Considering the project to help with pulling into spots, but just worried the lag would make it a bit impractical in actual use.

Remember, a functioning switch and front camera has been on my car for about a month. The lag is really not an issue, but it's far faster to make the camera switch with the remote rather than Homelink on the touch screen, as the touchscreen is slow to respond. I've gotten into the habit of using the remote.

Rick, what about using the "auto" switching mode, wherein the cameras switch based upon the car being in reverse or not in reverse? Isn't that better than even using a remote?

nooooo... My wife would absolutely hate me if I installed it and that was the decision factor. She like many others uses the camera while driving to have more situational awareness of what's behind her.

Everyone is different. I find it distracting to drive with the rear camera on. BTW, my understanding is that the switching between cameras can be done using home link, or using a remote, or configured for auto switching. Rick, am I correct?

Everyone is different. I find it distracting to drive with the rear camera on. BTW, my understanding is that the switching between cameras can be done using home link, or using a remote, or configured for auto switching. Rick, am I correct?
Oh.. Thought you meant they would all be installed with auto switch... Which I was going to say"everyone is different, some prefer the rear camera on even when going forward".

Oh.. Thought you meant they would all be installed with auto switch... Which I was going to say"everyone is different, some prefer the rear camera on even when going forward".

It can be configured to auto-switch to the rear camera when on the front, but we haven't yet figured out the connection that will do that. Working on it.

We're now up to 51 orders, the threshold for a rebate to all buyers. Once we reach the April 5 deadline I'll report the number of orders, the amount of the rebate, and begin making the rebates.

I'm waiting for a call back from the SC for retrofitting the power mirrors and bottom shield. They know about the front camera mod. I'll ask them if they would be willing to tell me which wire is for the reverse (backup) lights.

Rick, Tesla will not disclose the information. See a PM from me.

OK. Now were going to have a contest. The person who identifies one of the correct wires below wins a free camera switch.

1. The wire in harness on the driver or passenger side kick panels that supply 12 volts to backup lights
2. The wire to the front parking lights that turn them on when the car is placed in reverse
2. The wire in harness under dash that instructs car to be placed into reverse when the shifter is moved from drive or neutral position to reverse (this one may be a bit tricky and may not even be 12v, so it's a last resort)

The camera switch has a connection for a 12v signal that triggers when the car is placed in reverse. That will automatically switch to the rear camera when the front camera is on.

OK. Now were going to have a contest. The person who identifies one of the correct wires below wins a free camera switch.

1. The wire in harness on the driver or passenger side kick panels that supply 12 volts to backup lights
2. The wire to the front parking lights that turn them on when the car is placed in reverse
2. The wire in harness under dash that instructs car to be placed into reverse when the shifter is moved from drive or neutral position to reverse (this one may be a bit tricky and may not even be 12v, so it's a last resort)

The camera switch has a connection for a 12v signal that triggers when the car is placed in reverse. That will automatically switch to the rear camera when the front camera is on.

There is no 12 volt which comes from the shifter. The shifter when switched sends a can signal indicating what position the shifter is in. the gateway decides what to do and sends out the correct voltage and command depending on what gear the selector is in. The trick is going to be locating where the 12 volt source originates as we know it ends up at the reverse lights.

There is no 12 volt which comes from the shifter. The shifter when switched sends a can signal indicating what position the shifter is in. the gateway decides what to do and sends out the correct voltage and command depending on what gear the selector is in. The trick is going to be locating where the 12 volt source originates as we know it ends up at the reverse lights.

You sound very highly qualified to attempt this:)

I've seen several mods for cars that listen in on the CANBUS for certain messages (and some that even intercept and send out their own CANBUS messages) -- for instance, the SMARTTOP module (see MODS4CARS ) for many makes/models of convertible cars that add convenience features missing from the manufacturer.

I know nothing about CANBUS and what it would take, but it shouldn't be too hard to tap into any CANBUS line, and just listen for the packets that say "shift into reverse" and toggle a relay for the switch.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another example of a CANBUS decoder that listens for, and cancels out system warning messages when people install after-market HID headlamps: Xenon HID Canbus Decoder Warning Canceller Capacitor Fit All Ballast and Bulbs | eBay

If they can build/sell that for $7, I wonder what it would take to do the same thing for us, except listen for a different message?