Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my name in already. Where do I order the cables , and how much are they? Also, will you email us re: the deposit, or do we have to keep a keen eye on this thread for when to pay? Thanks for all your efforts.

I put my name in already. Where do I order the cables , and how much are they? Also, will you email us re: the deposit, or do we have to keep a keen eye on this thread for when to pay? Thanks for all your efforts.

I'll let everyone on the list know when we're ready to take orders. I don't know for sure but the cable kit should be about $30-$40. Those who ordered the faulty cables will get a set for free, shipped directly from China.

I'll post a link when they go on sale -- waiting to hear from the Chinese after their New Year holiday ends.

Next step is to get the beta installed on my car and test it under real-world conditions. Based on WhiteP85's preliminary testing I expect it to pass with flying colors.

If possible, please post the detailed installation instructions before the need to commit to purchase -- I want to make sure I am not biting off more than I can chew, althought from this thread it seems very straight forward. THANK YOU for you all your work on this!!! AWESOME!!!!

If possible, please post the detailed installation instructions before the need to commit to purchase -- I want to make sure I am not biting off more than I can chew, althought from this thread it seems very straight forward. THANK YOU for you all your work on this!!! AWESOME!!!!

That's my goal. The only tricky part in this install is threading the cable for the camera from behind the lower grille. I had that done for my car by a local shop and although they said they took photos to document the process they never provided them. The rest requires removing the driver's side kick panel, then plug and play of the unit itself.

As I'm doing a demo install for this and the Lighted T at the TeslaRoadTrip 2014 next weekend, I have to have this figured out by then. We'll have photos and likely videos of the installs.

The beta switch arrived for WhiteP85 today. The PCB is enclosed in a box (about 4x3x1 inches) with the connectors on the outside.

I'll install it on my car and get it working this weekend, then post some operational photos and perhaps video.

Below are a few photo of the box exterior and the PCB. Hallelujah that WhiteP85 got involved in this project! His design is a far cry from my feeble attempts at designing a PCB. I could have been at it for years without any success:)

_DSC4414.JPG

_DSC4417.JPG

_DSC4420.JPG

Last edited:
Front/rear switch on a non-tech package car

I chatted with one of the service techs at the Fremont service center, and he thinks that the high-def is switched via software, i.e. the camera is the same as for the tech package, and that the cabling is the same. I had already decided to give it a try, although it isn't really 100% certain, and I still plan to go ahead with it. Please let me know as soon as you are ready to accept money. Thanks.

I chatted with one of the service techs at the Fremont service center, and he thinks that the high-def is switched via software, i.e. the camera is the same as for the tech package, and that the cabling is the same. I had already decided to give it a try, although it isn't really 100% certain, and I still plan to go ahead with it. Please let me know as soon as you are ready to accept money. Thanks.

The high definition backup camera is standard equipment on all cars regardless of whether or not you have the tech package.

When Europros fixed the damage to the front of my car they bundled all of the wires for for my mods and jammed them between the frunk liner and the frame, so I had to take the entire frunk apart to get access to everything. And a few connectors were damaged and had to be replaced. So I spent most of the day rerouting the camera cable and restoring all of my previous nose cone devices -- lighted T, radar detector, laser jammer, etc. I also had to remove and remount the camera. A real PIA.

The good news is that after much experimentation I found a simple way to route the cable for the front-mounted camera. It's easy to do and does not involve anything more complicated than removing the nose cone and the driver's side plastic frunk trim. I'll post some photos tomorrow. This routing method can be used with or without the front license plate.

I also mounted a real carbon fiber nose cone made by CarbonFiberElement (they add a layer of real carbon fiber and resin over the stock nose cone). Looks pretty cool. Will post photos tomorrow. I also have them doing the same for the side strakes and front and rear diffusers.

The lighted T I installed was not a production version -- it was my last hand-made version. With so many anxious to get their production Ts I figured WTH, I can wait for the next production run.

I'm now all set up to connect up the camera switch tomorrow. Should not take long at all, so by afternoon I expect to have it functional and photos to post.

Note: I have two spares of the long cable for connecting the front camera to the switch. These are the original Tesla cables which I bought for testing. I no longer need them. If anybody wants them please PM me.

Last edited:
Success!!!! Just connected and tested the switch. I works like a charm. The transition from the rear to the front camera on the touchscreen takes 2-3 seconds which is actually good for parking situations.

I have photos and videos which I'll post as soon as I can edit and upload them. I've also taken a number of photos for installation steps. Stay tuned for photos, video, and more information.

It's so gratifying to have this work after all many months of experimentation and testing. WhiteP85 solved all of the considerable technical problems and my hat's off to him. It wouldn't have happened without his expertise and dedication.

Setting up the camera switch on HomeLink was a breeze, so it can all be controlled from the touchscreen, which is what I was hoping for.

Last edited:

The video was taken hand-held in rather dim light, so the resolution is not ideal. As the switch between cameras is made (using the remote or HomeLink) there's a short pause of about 2 seconds with a gray screen and the words "camera unavailable) before the other screen view shows on the touchscreen. I'll take several more still shots and videos as I drive around today and post them later.

In the meantime, here are a few shots of the hardware and cables in place in the driver's kick panel area (with the kick panel removed). Please note that I used Tesla cables to connect the two cameras to the switch. These are much longer than the Chinese cables and take up a lot more space. But with the Chinese cables, all will fit under the kick panel without difficulty. All of that will be in the installation instructions, which I'll have ready in a few days.

_DSC4482.jpg

_DSC4478.jpg

_DSC4480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: