Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rick, my question was whether the camera bracket (which Gizmotoy figured out how to remove) or a 3D printer replacement is needed if the camera will be mounted to the Tesla supplied front license plate holder using the mount that you are developing. My original posting of this question may not have been clear.

I don't have the camera yet (should get it on Wed when I take the car in for its 1 year checkup). You mentioned reinstalling the four long screws. Would we need to install spacers to make up for the lost thickness of the original camera bracket, or get shorter screws, or is this not necessary? Thanks.

artsci can chime in here, but from the warnings in the instruction manual, you are told not to modify the metal camera bracket if you're going to be doing their license plate option. Presumably the camera uses the existing screw holes on the bracket wings to attached to their license plate mount. So you won't need to remove the metal bracket or modify it in any way. Here I've created some confusion discussing a hypothetical alternative, which I apologize for. You won't need to worry about any of the things mentioned in my posts for your installation method. :)

Rick, my question was whether the camera bracket (which Gizmotoy figured out how to remove) or a 3D printer replacement is needed if the camera will be mounted to the Tesla supplied front license plate holder using the mount that you are developing. My original posting of this question may not have been clear.

I don't have the camera yet (should get it on Wed when I take the car in for its 1 year checkup). You mentioned reinstalling the four long screws. Would we need to install spacers to make up for the lost thickness of the original camera bracket, or get shorter screws, or is this not necessary? Thanks.

I don't think spacers are necessary, but Gizmotoy can confirm. The mounting bracket we're working on is 3D printed in the design and testing phases but will be made out of metal for strength. It will screw onto the plate frame and the camera bracket screws on to it, so there's no need to remove the camera bracket for the plate frame mount.

I don't think spacers are necessary, but Gizmotoy can confirm. The mounting bracket we're working on is 3D printed in the design and testing phases but will be made out of metal for strength. It will screw onto the plate frame and the camera bracket screws on to it, so there's no need to remove the camera bracket for the plate frame mount.

artsci - I'm very interested in buying such a front plate bracket. Those of us in WA (and other states) have already had our holes drilled on delivery. I can live with that and now its at least a benefit if you make a bracket available for the camera.

artsci - I'm very interested in buying such a front plate bracket. Those of us in WA (and other states) have already had our holes drilled on delivery. I can live with that and now its at least a benefit if you make a bracket available for the camera.

We're definitely making the mounting bracket for the license plate frame. It will take another 2 weeks to finalize.

We're now up to 42 orders. Two more and we authorize production to begin.

Last edited:
Here we go!

We now have 44 orders, the threshold for production. Production will begin ASAP.

Just sent the following email to all 44 buyers:

Fellow Model S Enthusiast,

As promised, I writing to report on order volume.

We just received the 44th order, the threshold for our launching production of the PCB and case. WhiteP85 will instruct the manufacturers to begin work ASAP. When we have a production schedule from the manufacturers I’ll report back on when we expect to ship your order. For now, I’m anticipating 5-6 weeks.

In the meantime we need to get some sense of demand for the license plate camera mounting bracket. Here are the options:

1. If you have no front license plate you will not need the mounting bracket to install the front camera.
  2. If you have the stock Tesla license plate frame you’ll need the bracket.
  3. If you have one of the several low-mount license plate frames you may not need the bracket. If you have the latter, please check the installation instructions to determine whether you will need the bracket (with a low-mounted license plate frame the camera has to be positioned on the grille under the nose cone so it can see over the frame).

If you think you’ll need the bracket please let me know. As the bracket design is being finalized, we’re not sure yet of the cost, but it will be modest.

Once orders for the camera switch exceed 50 the price for all buyers will be reduced according to volume. We’ll make determination of the final price when we reach the April 5 deadline for orders. Assuming that the number of orders at that time exceeds 50 we’ll begin issuing appropriate rebate amounts to all buyers. This may be the first time that early adapters don’t pay a price penalty for being first:)

Finally, some minor changes to the installation instructions will be made over the next 7-10 days. I’ll let you know when they’re finalized.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Rick

Last edited:
Can you post or send me a photo?
Charging_at_acorns_rv_park.jpg

A buyer of the camera switch just emailed me a suggestion which I think merits posting:

If EVSEAdapters purchases the balance of the initial run, and sells (likely marked-up) kits on their site, that might provide an incentive for people to buy sooner rather than waiting to see whether the number of buyers increases enough to bring the unit price down. Also the initial order of 100 units may leave last minute interested parties unfulfilled.

As WhiteP85 had other business to run, I don't think we're interested in being suppliers and shippers for very long, and certainly not after the initial run.