Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC is already getting 10 percent of every sale (that's commission for TMC marketplace. I'm thinking now we could set this up so that the early adapters continue to get rebates as more are sold so that over time they get rewarded for buying and installing first. I'm going to think about how that can work at various levels of sales beyond the first 100,

But first things first, and that's the April 5 deadline. I'm not as optimistic as others that all 100 will be sold by then. More than 50 is very, very likely.

Wow, I didn't realize TMC got a 10% commission! That changes my numbers somewhat, but the general idea remains the same.

Thanks for thinking about it. I think offering a continuous rebate for early adopters is a step in the right direction, but would be an administrative nightmare.

I think I can deal with the administrative issues.

There's one thing I believe in, which is some payback for TMC, so the 10 percent doesn't trouble me at all. Whatever the case I'll be sure TMC continues to receive my support. What we've been able to accomplish as a community would not be possible without them.

I think a more equitable idea would be for someone (or a small group of people) to commit to buying up the remaining unsold stock at $115 each, so all the early adopters get the lowest price possible. Then the investment group who put up the initial investment (and risk of holding inventory and opportunity cost of the invested capital) can then turn around and sell them for whatever price they see fit (with some profit built in to adjust for the risks). Say, $175 per unit. That would give all the early adopters the lowest possible price, the non-early adopters a reasonable price, the investment group a little profit (about $3000) to pay for the investment risk and shipping/fulfillment labor, plus some to kick back to TMC.

I would be willing to buy ~25 for resale in the OpenEV Store and coordinate a second production run when needed.

I have expanded the Store from OpenEVSE products to also include community developed Electric Vehicle products, modifications, and charging stations.

Last edited:
Interesting findings this morning. I was able to easily and successfully remove the entire metal bracket from the camera without risking damage to the cabling. 6 of the 8 screws hold the bracket in place, while the 2 remaining screws hold the cabling/connector to the case (leave these screws installed). See the pics below.

IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG

This is actually fantastic news. If we can replicate the metal bracket (minus the wings), we can 3D print a replacement that doesn't destroy the bracket and preserves the ability to resell the camera module later on if you desire. Further, if you're going to cut the bracket per the current instructions, you can do so without risking damage to the camera module by removing the bracket entirely.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, we could custom fabricate a new bracket for owners without a front plate that interacts with or hangs directly off the honeycomb for better stability, reducing or greatly eliminating the need for tape & glue. I'm willing to give this a try, and have long-lead access to a 3D printer (1 month advance notice only :-/), but have no experience in this area. PM me if you have any ideas/advice.

Last edited:
That's awesome Gizmotoy! Since I'm a klutz with a Dremel, I was very concerned about slicing into the cable while cutting the ears of the bracket off.

Also, if you 3D print a new bracket, you could potentially add a little tilt into it so it might capture a portion of the lower valence lip for reference, similar to the way the rear camera is angled down a bit to show the rear bumper (or maybe not, I'm sure it's no big deal, but I was just thinking it might be nice to see a portion of the car itself for reference).

That's awesome Gizmotoy! Since I'm a klutz with a Dremel, I was very concerned about slicing into the cable while cutting the ears of the bracket off.

Also, if you 3D print a new bracket, you could potentially add a little tilt into it so it might capture a portion of the lower valence lip for reference, similar to the way the rear camera is angled down a bit to show the rear bumper (or maybe not, I'm sure it's no big deal, but I was just thinking it might be nice to see a portion of the car itself for reference).

I had exactly that in mind. It's not a huge deal if you can't see any of the valence, but I'd prefer it if possible. I'm going to start fiddling with a CAD tool to see if I can even come close to replicating that bracket.

Last edited:
Excellent!

Also please keep in mind an option to mount the camera off center by 1/2 the width of the front license plate for cars with a low mounted front plate that blocks the center part of the honeycomb grills. (The rear camera is off center too ...)

Is the bracket even needed at all if you use the license plate mount that they are developing?

The one I'm talking about? No. Indeed it's not needed at all, and I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just interested in trying to determine if I could install without 1) destroying the factory camera bracket, and 2) taping/gluing it to the bumper. The process in the installation manual should work for everyone, I just want to see if an alternative is possible.

Still looking for someone with 3D printing experience, though.

Interesting findings this morning. I was able to easily and successfully remove the entire metal bracket from the camera without risking damage to the cabling. 6 of the 8 screws hold the bracket in place, while the 2 remaining screws hold the cabling/connector to the case (leave these screws installed). See the pics below.

This is actually fantastic news. If we can replicate the metal bracket (minus the wings), we can 3D print a replacement that doesn't destroy the bracket and preserves the ability to resell the camera module later on if you desire. Further, if you're going to cut the bracket per the current instructions, you can do so without risking damage to the camera module by removing the bracket entirely.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, we could custom fabricate a new bracket for owners without a front plate that interacts with or hangs directly off the honeycomb for better stability, reducing or greatly eliminating the need for tape & glue. I'm willing to give this a try, and have long-lead access to a 3D printer (1 month advance notice only :-/), but have no experience in this area. PM me if you have any ideas/advice.

Great find!! You are going to reinstall the four long screws on the corners of the camera back, right? They hold the camera together.

Rick, my question was whether the camera bracket (which Gizmotoy figured out how to remove) or a 3D printer replacement is needed if the camera will be mounted to the Tesla supplied front license plate holder using the mount that you are developing. My original posting of this question may not have been clear.

I don't have the camera yet (should get it on Wed when I take the car in for its 1 year checkup). You mentioned reinstalling the four long screws. Would we need to install spacers to make up for the lost thickness of the original camera bracket, or get shorter screws, or is this not necessary? Thanks.

The low mounted plates will not need a bracket -- if the camera is mount on the grille under the nosecone it can see over the top of the plate frame.

It can't on mine. The plate and frame rest on the lower bumper lip and cover the entire lower and more than half of the upper honeycomb. Maybe we have different definitions of "low mounted plates" ;-)