Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front under tray - fragile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove through about 6-8 inches of water down a back road this morning, following behind some ICE cars. Front undertray was ripped off by the water, dangling down on to the road. I've only had the car just over a week. Tesla got a third party company out to do a temporary repair, but it needs a new tray as the fixing holes are split. I can see an argument coming over who pays.

“I drove through about 6-8 inches of water down a back road this morning”

DONT do that. Guaranteed to rip up the undertray. I don’t know why people insist on driving through ANY depths of standing water knowing these aero trays are garbage. Asking for trouble. I try and avoid two things: (1) Standing Water, and (2) Potholes, not necessarily in that order!

Ski

Anyone know of any aftermarket under trays that are sturdier? BMW M3s had a similar issue, where at speed the undertray would simply fly out from under the car. There were aftermarket options made out of aluminum that would bolt to the car.

Anyone know of any aftermarket under trays that are sturdier? BMW M3s had a similar issue, where at speed the undertray would simply fly out from under the car. There were aftermarket options made out of aluminum that would bolt to the car.

Not yet....that’s what we are all patiently waiting for. Because Tesla doesn’t seem concerned at all with the issue. Hopefully some aftermarket products hit the market of better quality and specifically durability.

Ski

I think part of the issue with these under trays is that the bolts aren’t tightened properly from the factory or become loose. I know when I doubled checked mine, front and rear, there were some that were loose and had to be tightened. I suspect if they're loose and the front edge hangs down alittle...when you drive through a puddle, there’s a high chance it catches the water and rips the tray down.

Reactions: rincewind
I drove through about 6-8 inches of water down a back road this morning, following behind some ICE cars. Front undertray was ripped off by the water, dangling down on to the road. I've only had the car just over a week. Tesla got a third party company out to do a temporary repair, but it needs a new tray as the fixing holes are split. I can see an argument coming over who pays.
I have had my Model 3 for just over 3 years and just lost the second undertray, its made of some lightweight rigid hessian or similar material that the fixings pull through when they get wet and simply cannot handle any significant standing water and fold up like a wet carpet. The product is not fit for wet UK / European roads. I've been told its for aerodynamic purposes.