Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Brakes (with video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I had an interesting issue today. I went on vacation for 5 days (had to take the ICE car, couldn't take the Model S, was on a time constraint and I would have needed a supercharger in Allentown or Scranton PA for that). Anywho, the MS sat garaged for 5 or 6 days. After returning from my trip, I went to back it out of the garage and the front brakes were totally frozen. At first I thought the parking brakes wouldn't disengage, but then I realized this was the front wheels only and the parking brakes are only on the rears. I had called ownership and asked if there were any tricks to "unfreeze" them. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of software-lock that needed to get reset, or if it was literally just physically frozen. The Tesla rep I spoke with basically said it's probably just frozen due to cold weather and scheduled a tow. So I hung up and basically just thought to myself 'well if there is no software lock in place here and its just frozen, I wonder if I could just rock it back and forth and snap them'. The video below is just showing how they were locked when attempting to back out. The brake pads were literally frozen to the rotors?? I didn't record my attempt to "unfreeze them", but after rocking the car back and forth over and over again the brake pads finally unfroze from the rotors and now it is drive-able again. So, just thought this was interesting. I've never had this happen before on any car. I still need to call and cancel that tow now....lol anyone else have a similar issue like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's well known that if there is water on the brakes the pads will stick to the rotors. From the video it appears that your garage floor is pretty slick. My guess is that if you backed out onto the driveway the rougher concrete would have broken them free. To prevent this from happening next time, somewhere close to home put the car in neutral and brake from 40+ mph. That will heat the brakes up enough to evaporate the moisture.

wow.
that looks a little scary pulling back in at the wall
glad it never gets that cold here. was there any signs of rust between the pads/rotors?

if you watch again, when I back out you'll see a yellow parking bumper on the concrete. I can come in at a slow but decent speed and it's enough of a bump to stop the car from going further unless i'm really hauling ass into the garage lol :)

and yes, my rotors are always very very rusty. guess I don't use them enough with the regen.

LOL that's funny. Goes to show you how much power this car has - can just drag the wheels along the floor!

I've had that happen, but not with my Tesla. An SUV I used to own got one front wheel frozen while parked at the office. Luckily the parking lot was almost empty, because when I tried to back out I ended up doing a donut. Couldn't break it loose because the ground was too slippery. Had to get out and turn the hub locks (it was an old-style 4x4). That broke it loose!

This happened to me on Monday for the first time (this is my second winter with the S). My case wasn't as bad: the car didn't drag any tires before the rotors broke free (and no, it wasn't just rust: I know what that feels like, and this took a LOT more power). But it sure did startle me.

I've never seen brake rust freeze a rotor so much that you could drag it back and forth like that. Sure, it'll stick and you have to give it a little gas to break it free, but the OP's video looks like something other than rust.

A bucket of warm water will certainly do the trick if it's iced, but there's some risk of thermal shock warping or even cracking the rotor if the rotors are super cold. A hair dryer has the advantage of slowly heating things up.

I've never seen brake rust freeze a rotor so much that you could drag it back and forth like that. Sure, it'll stick and you have to give it a little gas to break it free, but the OP's video looks like something other than rust.

A bucket of warm water will certainly do the trick if it's iced, but there's some risk of thermal shock warping or even cracking the rotor if the rotors are super cold. A hair dryer has the advantage of slowly heating things up.

Dont think the rotors get warped with such small temp differences (20c) but completly different story on a racecar where things could rise to 500c

Dont think the rotors get warped with such small temp differences (20c) but completly different story on a racecar where things could rise to 500c

Even then actual warping is rare. More often you get an uneven buildup of pad material if you overheat the brakes, and that is what causes the vibration. I had that happen once with my S2000, and all it took to fix it was putting on more aggressive pads and then doing a dozen hot laps.

Yes, uneven pad transfer, onepiece discs (hub / rotor in same piece) and master-slave calipers with one piston tends to create issues with warped discs, atleast tesla have proper brembo calipers with equal squeeze on both sides of discs

This is actually the first and only thing I've seen that has me really concerned. Lived in Colorado for 20 yrs, AK for three and WA for over 15 yrs. Driven in lots of snow/ice conditions and I've never seen this before. Of course I've seen rotors rust and stick for a minute but they ALWAYS broke loose. Even at 40 below. There is something wrong here.

We see frozen brakes in aircraft. It usually happens when a plane departs in wet conditions and then lands in freezing conditions allowing the soaked pads to freeze to the rotor. Some aircraft vent heated air to the rotors to keep them unfrozen in these conditions. It would help the tesla if you were able to heat/drag the brakes slightly prior to parking. With our lack of use i'm sure that they are being parked wet and in the proper conditions will freeze to the rotor. If you were to make severals stops using the brakes prior to parking im sure this would not be a problem.

Mercedes will send pulses to the brakes to keep them dry and warm. This would be not be effecient in an electric vehicle.

Last edited: