Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen out of my car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep similar problem happened to me a lot with my Saab 9000. Usually when it rained any amount and froze later, the door would open but not latch closed at all. Warming up the car didn't help. It required a warm garage to make it work again. I did a lot of looking around to find out where the water was leaking in but never got it fixed.

With 5 doors lets assume you can somehow get INTO the MS. Now, can you drive the MS with one door ajar? Ok, can it drive with the one door on 'first click'? If 2nd click won't catch will pressure holding door against weather seals be enough to close door on 17 in screen (fool MS into thinking door is closed)?

I'm snowed in for at least a few more days so can't test all of this myself just yet.

@brianman: Time for you to cruise local auto parts emporium? Still lots of goodies there for Teslas.

Paraffin = candle wax = jelly jar sealer.

WD40: I think it was the 40th concoction they came up with which turned out to be the winner for them. They named the company 'WD40'.
--

When I was in college I had an old beater with a driver's door that often wouldn't stay latched in the freezing weather. I used to tie it with a rope across my lap to the passenger door handle after I got in. I used to get some weird looks when the rope would stretch and the door would open a couple of inches on corners!
Wow, that's, well, it's something. In high school,I knew a guy with an AMC Pacer who only went in through the hatch.
I had a window fault this week as well. I think pre-heating the cabin is the way to go, I'll try it next time.

So I have only sprayed WD40 a few times into the latch mechanisms and haven't had a problem with the door NOT latching when closing.

I was still having intermittent problems opening the doors in the cold weather. The driver handle presents itself but pulling it doesn't unlatch the door so I use the key fob to roll down the windows and I can open it using the lever from the inside. And it closes and latches fine.

I has warmed back up to the 30s so I'm not having any problems now.