Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frunk versus $#!?%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shopping at local market via our late-2014 Model S. Super busy parking lot. Returned w/ groceries to find what's shown.

My best guess is that the newly abandoned pry tool was used to attempt to pop the frunk (which was empty) and instead unexpectedly levered off the front piece. The frunk remained locked tight. Police officer hadn't seen a scene like this before.

I removed the wiring harness, a screw, and snipped thru the one remaining plastic structural connection. Was able to get a clean front end and drive home. Off to the body shop for what should be a relatively simple repair (i.e., part replacement).

Have thought about a blackvue install before but never pulled the trigger. Would definitely be nice if the on-board cameras archived even a few still images in response to stuff happening to the car. Although in this case I don't believe the car alarm was ever triggered.

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.59.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.57.05 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks more like vandalism or attempted theft of the front bumper skin (there is a market for those) rather than attempting to get into the frunk - there don't seem to be any pry marks on the hood and in order to take off this much bumper you need to start at the corners behind the lights.

As for a blackvue, we have those, but then again, our neighbor did too and when his car was broken into, the thieves took the dashcams too.

Last edited:
This looks more like vandalism or attempted theft of the front bumper skin (there is a market for those) rather than attempting to get into the frunk - there don't seem to be any pry marks on the hood and in order to take off this much bumper you need to start at the corners behind the lights.

Good point. Agree no damage to hood, etc. From a quick search online there's definitely a used parts market for the front bumper (#6005889-00-C OEM). Hard to imagine carting that part away in broad daylight, though.

I'm now trying to sort out if anything is missing from under the front bumper cover and, if not, if I might just get a used replacement part (~$300 with shipping) and swap everything else over (i.e., a DIY repair). Would be grateful if anyone notices anything missing/wrong. E.g., is the negative terminal typically exposed like that (presuming that's what is shown).

Thanks!

Wow! I park there every time I go to the our NJ office. I better watch out next time.
This is the Menlo Park in CA (not NJ).

Really sorry to see this; hopefully the damage is easily repaired.

In the Bay Area, even if you leave your car with absolutely nothing in it, there's still a chance you'll come back to some kind of theft/vandalism attempt like this. It's out of control. :(

Last edited:
Shopping at local market via our late-2014 Model S. Super busy parking lot. Returned w/ groceries to find what's shown. My best guess is that the newly abandoned pry tool was used to attempt to pop the frunk (which was empty) and instead unexpectedly levered off the front piece. The frunk remained locked tight. Police officer hadn't seen a scene like this before.

I removed the wiring harness, a screw, and snipped thru the one remaining plastic structural connection. Was able to get a clean front end and drive home. Off to the body shop for what should be a relatively simple repair (i.e., part replacement). Have thought about a blackvue install before but never pulled the trigger. Would definitely be nice if the on-board cameras archived even a few still images in response to stuff happening to the car. Although in this case I don't believe the car alarm was ever triggered.
Wow, just wow...I don't visit SF anymore due to the high problablity of a smashed window, but Menlo Park? What's next Los Altos? :cool:
Time to turn this random vandalism into a positive ... have you considered going with an aftermarket bumper for the new style nose?

Reactions: Ben W and PeterK
Wow, just wow...I don't visit SF anymore due to the high problablity of a smashed window, but Menlo Park? What's next Los Altos? :cool:
It's everywhere now. A friend who lives in Los Altos told me his neighbor's Model S had its window smashed overnight while parked in his driveway.

Time to turn this random vandalism into a positive ... have you considered going with an aftermarket bumper for the new style nose?
Interesting thought. At least one person has retrofitted the facelift bumper onto their P85, so it is a possibility...

It's everywhere now.
A friend who lives in Los Altos told me his neighbor's Model S had its window smashed overnight while parked in his driveway.
Interesting thought. At least one person has retrofitted the facelift bumper onto their P85, so it is a possibility...
Good Grief ... Glad I moved to Los Altos Hills :cool:
There are now available aftermarket kits that simplify the installation process at a cost ...
Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia System for Tesla Model S
2012-2016 Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh Deposit
Unplugged-Performance-Refresh-Front-Fascia-Deep-Blue-Metallic-Pearl-Orange.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865