Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk vs Froot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Since Front storage will become the norm with widespread EV adoption so will the need for a name for it.
I have watched with horror over recent months as the work "Frunk" seems to be getting the upper hand in this regard.
I assume this is due to Teslas being the most common EV's around and that is what they call it is the US.
Well I say no more. We don't say Trunk for the rear so Frunk makes no sense in the UK. It's time to take back our language and start calling it a Froot before it's too late.
Who's with me? :)

My wife seems to have an almost irrational hatred of the word frunk, so I tend to use "front trunk". Don't like using the word trunk though. Front boot doesn't sound right to me though, because I associate boots with things that are at the back for some reason. I have seen the expression froot, but not spoken it out loud to anyone yet.

I suppose we can get away with Frunk since it's an American car but I don't think I'll use the term myself when speaking. Froot makes complete sense but I'm afraid it just sounds ridiculous! In conversation I see it as going ... first person, "I'll just stick this in the boot." ... me, "I think it'll fit in the front boot actually" ... first person "hey, never thought of that!"

Bonnet. No need for a new name. ;)
Need a new definition though:
Bonnet: "the hinged metal canopy covering the engine of a motor vehicle"

Mind you most dictionaries need a new definition of car:
Car: "a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people."

What about Hood?

Frunk - Yep american but like this better than Froot
Froot - ...nah
Bonnet - Sounds like something from the 1980's (ford cortina)
Hood - Might sit with the young kids? (@Mr Miserable - What do you think?)

See it know - pulling up at the local Tesco Car Park at 11pm at night and the local Car Enthusiast club are there blaring out the tunes from the boot of there car and the kids that drive them then ask "whats under your hood?" For them to see my shopping in it! (Love 24hr Tesco's)

If you want to go back to the roots. The term "boot" comes from "boot locker". There were few paved roads and when cartridges got stuck in the mud, you would get boots out of the boot locker to push it out.

So technically you can still call it boot, as it has no affiliation of front (the coachman used to sit on it), back or indeed sides.

Since we are not going to be keeping boots in it as such, but perhaps cables, calling it "boot" makes little sense.

I propose "locker".

Since the rear "boot" locker is called boot, there should be no confusion where the "locker" is located...