Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk vs Froot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to go back to the roots. The term "boot" comes from "boot locker". There were few paved roads and when cartridges got stuck in the mud, you would get boots out of the boot locker to push it out.

So technically you can still call it boot, as it has no affiliation of front (the coachman used to sit on it), back or indeed sides.

Since we are not going to be keeping boots in it as such, but perhaps cables, calling it "boot" makes little sense.

I propose "locker".

Since the rear "boot" locker is called boot, there should be no confusion where the "locker" is located...

“Frocker”? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: dhanson865
I'm a little disappointed Froot is so unpopular. That bit of Britishness is welcome when we adopt something our friends from across the pond have got ahead of us nicknaming. We are better than them at naming stuff - a tradition we should uphold!

So what to keep in it? Pimms and Lemonade? Or I did think a bottle of a nice English sparkling would be an ideal thank you gift to those from whom we scrump a few kWh.

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Since Front storage will become the norm with widespread EV adoption so will the need for a name for it.
I have watched with horror over recent months as the work "Frunk" seems to be getting the upper hand in this regard.
I assume this is due to Teslas being the most common EV's around and that is what they call it is the US.
Well I say no more. We don't say Trunk for the rear so Frunk makes no sense in the UK. It's time to take back our language and start calling it a Froot before it's too late.
Who's with me? :)
Definitely Froot!

Nope.

Froot sounds ridiculous. Frunk sounds much better.

I’ll stick with the boot + frunk combo, even it’s a bit of a clash of worlds!

I’d go as far as saying I’m more likely to adopt trunk than froot.
I think I’ll stick with Frunk in the spirit of UK/USA relations, International Harmony, the Special Relationship and all that. Not to mention our love of Trumpy :mad:

Back in the 1970’s and 1980’s I had several rear-engined cars with the boot at the front, a couple of NSUs and also a rather nice Skoda Estelle, with a black vinyl roof :confused: but I think I called it the boot then because it was the only boot. At the back was an unreliable air-cooled engine on the NSUs and an unreliable engine on the Skoda :)

Don’t judge, besides I hope with the M3 I’ve moved on a bit :D

Reactions: dst87
That's a thing is it?

Instructions for closing the frunk/froot/rostral cavity are specific - ya not supposed to just slam it or shove it down with a single hand. It's designed to limit damage to pedestrians you collect on it - which is fair enough althpugh it;s generally to be avoided or there's paperwork. But youl'd think there would be some compromise lie genetically modified pedestrians or Tesla-proof safety vests so we could all slam our lids with impunity. I don't bother using it when i have a boot that opens and closes on fob presses or the handy lid switches.

My Mum had Beetle in the 70's and we called it the boot (but at there was only one it's not ambiguous).
We called the car many things - almost impossible to change the spark plugs, and would put the old oil from our Peugeot 405 into the Beetle because it would burn through it in weeks.

Different times : and yes our neighbours did ask questions about my age when I was servicing the cars.
Dad was an engineer who believed you should be able to look after your own stuff; and got me started young.

Very happy to be moving on from burning petrol, oil and donating skin to servicing every few thousand miles.
But the sound of an air cooled engine was cool .........................

our Ernie has a boot and a Frunk; just a nod to his Californian creators.