Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustration with Lack of Superchargers/CCS adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is wrong with the idea that there should be at least one or two DC Fast chargers no more than every 50 miles on all major highways and interstates? This has to happen if we’re ever going to transition the entire fleet to EVs.
There's nothing wrong with that. But you are very early in the adoption curve on EV's,
I can't emphasize this enough. There is nothing wrong with wanting that. That is sensible and will probably happen. What is wrong, and why you are getting so much flak, is that you expect that to already exist right now, in the infancy stages of electric car deployment. Haven't you noticed that with most of the auto makers, it's just a huge pile of "coming soon" press releases of vehicles they plan to start selling in the future? And people still make fun of Tesla for being some tiny, dinky, insignificant player with 1 or 2 % of the car market, when they are the largest of this market in the world. It is still very very early in this market, so nothing wrong with what you want to eventually happen, but it is still definitely going to be some time in the future to get that kind of widespread infrastructure deployment.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't know the situation in the US well. In Europe there is a swing towards CCS, so it is pretty much unnecessary to have a CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla cars only have a combined Type 2 + CCS socket over here.

I'm an adapter fan and have a dozen adapters for European mains sockets in the car, but these are only useful for overnight charging.

If the situation in the US is such that many charging stations cannot connect to your Tesla, I think you should urgently bite the bullet and get a CCS adapter or a CHAdeMO adapter, whichever is more useful in the area. Perhaps even get both. The event described here makes it obvious why you want to have at least one of these adapters.

I regularly charge at non-Tesla stations, because they are often more conveniently located. On long trips I prefer the Superchargers, but nearer to the destination, away from the big freeways, other chargers can be very useful.

In Canada there are superchargers missing in some areas, and typically there are more CCS stations than there are CHAdeMO. It's not that the CCS stations are more powerful, plenty are 50kW, but there are more of them. CHAdeMO seems to be dying, CCS has taken the lead. I would much rather pay 600-700$ on a CCS adapter than a CHAdeMO one. There is definitely a need where superchargers are lacking. I obviously prefer a supercharger if one is available.

what is wrong with the idea that there should be at least one or two DC Fast chargers no more than every 50 miles on all major highways and interstates? This has to happen if we’re ever going to transition the entire fleet to EVs.

I definitely sympathize with you - I’ve driven in many remote areas and the lack of supercharging has made planning annoying. Having said that, I had the expectation that this would be an issue, so I took to purchasing my Model Y knowing I’d face this challenge.

However, many areas also have low densities of gas stations - to me the real solution is greater range. You wouldn’t be having this problem if your EV had a 500mi EPA range. That’s a better solution I think. Not only will you have more leeway to reach a supercharger during emergencies, you’ll also be able to sustain a fast charge for longer, making for more effective miles gained per SC stop.

Reactions: Fadiawesome