Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.2 on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume I will be presented with a software update soon that will give me FSD 11.3.2/2022.45.11 (I currently have 2022.44.30.10.) My worry is that I will install it and my heavily-relied-on autopilot will be compromised in some way. I spend about two hours a day in the car, and 90% is using autopilot on highways. (I rarely use FDB beta, but have used it on occasion and look forward to this update.) I think standard autopilot works miraculously well on highways, and have relied on it since I got my M3 in June, 2019. I would *hate* to install 2022.45.11 and have regressions that affect highway performance due to single stack issues. As soon as folks get the update, please post here with observations on highway performance? Is it as good as the 4-year-old separate-stack software? Better? Issues? Thank you!

I assume I will be presented with a software update soon that will give me FSD 11.3.2/2022.45.11 (I currently have 2022.44.30.10.) My worry is that I will install it and my heavily-relied-on autopilot will be compromised in some way. I spend about two hours a day in the car, and 90% is using autopilot on highways. (I rarely use FDB beta, but have used it on occasion and look forward to this update.) I think standard autopilot works miraculously well on highways, and have relied on it since I got my M3 in June, 2019. I would *hate* to install 2022.45.11 and have regressions that affect highway performance due to single stack issues. As soon as folks get the update, please post here with observations on highway performance? Is it as good as the 4-year-old separate-stack software? Better? Issues? Thank you!
It's way better. Autopilot is a joke in caparison. FSD 11 drives more like a person and less like a robot. I'm sure there will be some janky stuff that I have not experienced yet but so far, so good.

The big problem with highway AP is that it holds the center of the lane no matter what. Truck in lane adjacent to you starts to drift into your lane, AP doesn't move. I have to take over often. If FSD V11 moves over on it's own, I will be thrilled. If not, then its really no better as far as I am concerned.

I didn’t realize that if you turn off FSD beta, you would be reverting back to the old software. I thought single stack changed that. Good to know.

Did this latest firmware reset the strikes?
Even auto steer supports auto lane change (when you have EAP or FSD)...you don't need to be in navigate on auto pilot. My wife's profile....she rarely drives mine...but her profile has no FSDb.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I didn't notice anything markedly different. However, if you have lane change confirmations set to "off" then the car will just signal and change - no more tug of the wheel
Wait, does v11 still have an option to prompt you to confirm lane changes before actually changing lanes? I was under the impression it just does what navigate on city streets does and decides itself when to change lanes without waiting on your confirmation.

This is important to me because I currently find fsdb leaving slow lanes too quickly and several of my exits off the interstate are marked very incorrectly. I also have the most optimal lanes covered in potholes on some routes. This all means I have to pick lanes very carefully on the interstate and I don't trust a bot to be able to do it well. I'm really hoping I can disable auto lane changing.

Wait, does v11 still have an option to prompt you to confirm lane changes before actually changing lanes? I was under the impression it just does what navigate on city streets does and decides itself when to change lanes without waiting on your confirmation.

This is important to me because I currently find fsdb leaving slow lanes too quickly and several of my exits off the interstate are marked very incorrectly. I also have the most optimal lanes covered in potholes on some routes. This all means I have to pick lanes very carefully on the interstate and I don't trust a bot to be able to do it well. I'm really hoping I can disable auto lane changing.
From the screenshots posted it would appear it changes lanes without confirmation. You have the option to limit that but that option resets on every drive. FSDb has a chill mode which is supposed to limit speed based lane changes. On 10.69.25.2 I have found that it doesn't change lanes very often with that setting.

The screen shots showed confirmations as chime, steering wheel shake IIRC....its not really a confirmation but an alert that it's changing lanes.

I have yet to have 11.3.2 pushed to mine so I can't say for sure.

Changing lanes without confirmation will be great. I actually have it disabled currently as it was literally the only time it would ask for my input. I dunno I wonder if the last owner of this car did something funky with my wheel.. On a 20 mile drive if it asks me to touch the wheel twice this is alot. Now I'm always face forward, I never pickup my phone so I dunno if that has something to do with it. If I ever get this V11 I'm hoping itll be the same

• Disagree
Reactions: mr-dmitry
From the screenshots posted it would appear it changes lanes without confirmation. You have the option to limit that but that option resets on every drive. FSDb has a chill mode which is supposed to limit speed based lane changes. On 10.69.25.2 I have found that it doesn't change lanes very often with that setting.

The screen shots showed confirmations as chime, steering wheel shake IIRC....its not really a confirmation but an alert that it's changing lanes.

Ah drats. Chill mode was the first mode I tried for fsdb but I had to disable it. It's lane change behavior was better for back streets, but it would brake way earlier than other drivers would expect, leading to several honking people. For honkers, moderate was fine for back streets but then came the too aggressive lane changing.

I saw only change lanes to follow nav, which I'm hopeful to try out but I'm worried given the crappy city roads I drive on and the incorrect nav data. I hope they'll make it a permanent toggle by the time v11 reaches me instead of having to hit it for every drive. As we get more v11 drivers, I'll be interested how it does in heavy traffic. Here's a v11 video in moderate to heavy traffic:

Better for me in nearly every way on my commute home today. I used NoA every single day and it was pretty great but had a few quirks and one major issue on my return home commute. (It installed while I was at work so I’ll need tomorrow to know how it is going in.)

Overall it stayed in lane better when there were merge lanes to the right, it selected the lanes I prefer 100% of the time (NoA always selected suboptimally for evening commute) and most importantly it safely took an interchange that it literally never took safely before. It’d previously take it at 50 when it needed to go 35.

The major flaw now is related to a tunnel I take every day. It loses GPS signal in the tunnel and when it came out the other end the car thought it was suddenly on a city street. It set the speed to 17mph (limit was 50) and began slowing down. It didn’t slam on the brakes, and I quickly recognized what was happening and took over. Need to test more, but if it really does want it slow to 17 in a 50 mph zone, that’s a huge safety issue on days when the tunnel isn’t backed up. (To be clear, on NoA, it would lose GPS in tunnel but never set speed limit to 17 when exiting out of tunnel, so this is a regression in some sense.)

Last edited:

This is true on 11.3.2.

Even when asking FSDb to limit lane changes, it lane changed when getting close to a slow car. One way around it is to tell it to lane change before that happens. There may be an exception to that if an exit is coming up soon, need to test more.

It's a bit jarring to give more control over to FSDb, hopefully I can get used to it soon. I would hate to be in a traffic scenario where the correct lane gets backed up and FSDb changes out of that lane it and can't get back in.

The big problem with highway AP is that it holds the center of the lane no matter what. Truck in lane adjacent to you starts to drift into your lane, AP doesn't move. I have to take over often. If FSD V11 moves over on it's own, I will be thrilled. If not, then its really no better as far as I am concerned.

On my model 3 - on pre v11, it did as you described - dead center no matter what.

On my X - pre v11 - it does move over a bit when there is a large truck in the lane next to me. I recently got the X, so this was immediately noticeable to me.