Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.4 Driver attentiveness question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I just received my 98+ safety score beta and did a test drive last night. As I'm sure that others experienced it was both amazing and a little terrifying. It did a couple of turns successfully and then proceeded to continue straight. All at once I received the "red hands of death" and it shut down for the rest of the drive. When I stopped it gave me the inattentiveness warning that I might be kicked out. I'm certain that I was looking ahead and not looking at cell phone, etc.. What I'm thinking the issue might be is that I did not have as much pressure on the wheel as is required. My hands were lightliy touchingthe wheel to allow it to turn. So here is my question. How do I obtain a happy medium where I keep pressure on the wheel and at the same time let it turn back and forth as required. This is especially an issue when approaching and engaging in 90 degree turns. I'm excited about helping test this cool tech and don't want to get kicked so I appreciate any input from the gurus on the list!

Thanks!

Perry

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Greetings,

I just received my 98+ safety score beta and did a test drive last night. As I'm sure that others experienced it was both amazing and a little terrifying. It did a couple of turns successfully and then proceeded to continue straight. All at once I received the "red hands of death" and it shut down for the rest of the drive. When I stopped it gave me the inattentiveness warning that I might be kicked out. I'm certain that I was looking ahead and not looking at cell phone, etc.. What I'm thinking the issue might be is that I did not have as much pressure on the wheel as is required. My hands were lightliy touchingthe wheel to allow it to turn. So here is my question. How do I obtain a happy medium where I keep pressure on the wheel and at the same time let it turn back and forth as required. This is especially an issue when approaching and engaging in 90 degree turns. I'm excited about helping test this cool tech and don't want to get kicked so I appreciate any input from the gurus on the list!

Thanks!

Perry

You can also satisfy the steering wheel nag by scrolling up or down the scroll button on the wheel. I like to use to left scroll button on the wheel.

Also, make sure your eyes are on the road since the in cabin camera is activated and will give you a warning if your eyes are not on the road for too long.

Greetings,

Thanks!

Perry
To piggyback on what diplomat33 said, definitely keep an eye out for the warnings on the screen and make sure to intervene when necessary (I know, ironic since your eyes are supposed to be on the road!) But FSD Beta nags exactly the same as standard AP as far as the warnings go. I could be wrong but it seems to disengage easier vs. standard AP with torque on the wheel so it may take you a bit to get a feel for it. I accidentally disengaged it constantly when I first started using it but I'm much better with it now.

Reactions: Phlier
To piggyback on what diplomat33 said, definitely keep an eye out for the warnings on the screen and make sure to intervene when necessary (I know, ironic since your eyes are supposed to be on the road!) But FSD Beta nags exactly the same as standard AP as far as the warnings go. I could be wrong but it seems to disengage easier vs. standard AP with torque on the wheel so it may take you a bit to get a feel for it. I accidentally disengaged it constantly when I first started using it but I'm much better with it now.
Thanks for the feedback! The odd thing is that I don't recall seeing the nag at all. I use AP very frequently and don't get that many nags anymore as I've found ways to rest my hand on the wheel providing weight. It was night time so the AP cabin camera might have mistaken the look of amazement / terror on my face as looking away. :)

Reactions: Phlier
A guy just posted an incident where he received the same type of warning due to a passenger using a cell phone to record the drive.

Apparently, the passenger was holding the phone within the cabin camera's field of view, and the computer decided that the driver was using the cell phone while driving!

1. Keep your cell phone out of your hands when you're driving, and don't let a passenger put their cell phone within the cabin camera's field of view.

2. Keep your hands on the wheel

3. Keep your eyes looking straight ahead.

Tip that I use: I "Phantom Drive" the entire time FSD is engaged. I put in inputs that I'd be doing if I was actually doing the driving, just at a greatly reduced input level so that I don't inadvertently kick FSD off. This also makes for very smooth transitions when I need to take control of the car. It also prevents any "nags" from ever popping up in the first place. I honestly don't remember the last time I got an "apply slight turning force to the wheel" nag.

Oh, and welcome to the Beta!

It sounds like you have a good idea of the torque needed to satisfy AP nags from before FSD beta, but a couple things I’ve noticed since joining beta:

1) as others have mentioned, the in cabin camera is watching for eye gaze, cell phone use, etc. I’ve noticed the little pop up alert (and audible alert) for those issues is different messaging than the steering wheel torque messaging.

2) I’ve learned to instinctively give the steering wheel a little torque input reminder just before FSD beta enters a turn. When the car is at a slow speed, the steering wheel can spin wildly and/or change spinning direction quickly and erratically. Steering wheel torque input then can easily cause disengagement, so that’s why I give it a little just before entering the turn to “reset” the timer that detects whether you’re holding the steering wheel.

It sounds like you have a good idea of the torque needed to satisfy AP nags from before FSD beta, but a couple things I’ve noticed since joining beta:

1) as others have mentioned, the in cabin camera is watching for eye gaze, cell phone use, etc. I’ve noticed the little pop up alert (and audible alert) for those issues is different messaging than the steering wheel torque messaging.

2) I’ve learned to instinctively give the steering wheel a little torque input reminder just before FSD beta enters a turn. When the car is at a slow speed, the steering wheel can spin wildly and/or change spinning direction quickly and erratically. Steering wheel torque input then can easily cause disengagement, so that’s why I give it a little just before entering the turn to “reset” the timer that detects whether you’re holding the steering wheel.
This is useful. Thanks! I've done quite a few drives over the last few days and it has not reoccured.

Reactions: TresLA