Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
flashing yellow light at pedestrian crosswalk or school zone

Slowing down at flashing yellows was a perception problem, as shown in Chuck's videos. Some of the flashing yellows were perceived as reds in the visualization.

With perfect perception, planning is easier. I guess planning has to take into account uncertainty as well, which isn't as much of an issue with HD maps.

I guess the motto of Tesla's approach is: it's better to be uncertain than to be certain about the wrong thing, lol.

Reactions: Terminator857
Anyone else waiting for FSD to cross dashed - bicycle lane when making right turns? Second to last turn to my house is a right turn and FSD refuses to cross into the bicycle lane when preparing and making this turn (even after it becomes dashed) which means my car occupies the whole lane until the very last second. Cars behind me don't expect this behavior and it annoys them and seems dangerous. This assumes no bicyclist, of course.

Per TeslaFi 10.6 is starting to roll out.

1638693301040.png

Slowing down at flashing yellows was a perception problem, as shown in Chuck's videos. Some of the flashing yellows were perceived as reds in the visualization.

With perfect perception, planning is easier. I guess planning has to take into account uncertainty as well, which isn't as much of an issue with HD maps.
This is literally opposite of the entire sdc industry findings. Which is that perception is easy, prediction is hard and planning is mission impossible.

Lastly there’s a lot of uncertainty that exist in planning even with HD maps. HD map helps with accuracy when it comes to planning not with uncertainty. I suggest you watch this video.

Since the first few posts, this thread has has little to do with 10.6. Maybe it can be about 10.6 experiences now?

I got 2021.36.8.9 FSD 10.6 last night. I am coming from 2021.36.8.8 still showing a Safety Score of 100 on the Tesla App since 10.3.1.

TeslaFi shows 201 10.6 installations so far and 191 pending. With 10.3 we know that about 1 in 11 Beta testers were on TeslaFi. So multiply by 11 to get the real numbers of about 2,200 installed so far and 2,000 pending. So in the next few hours as people wake up, 10.6 should have over 4,000 installs. Everyone so far is coming from 2021.36.8.8.

Previously Installed Version
Version Count Percent
2021.36.8.8 201 100%

Last edited:
Really? You mean your car isn't still accelerating when YOU would start coasting to the red light eons ago? I think that's what he meant by not coming to a light smoothly

I'm actually surprised to hear people experiencing this. My car approaches red lights near perfectly, like safety score 100 deceleration. Stop signs however are a completely different story.

My current hypothesis is it is not phantom braking I'm experiencing but slow down for the bends
FSD Beta and even non-FSD Autopilot have slowed down for many curves on both highways and city streets even when the set speed is higher. FSD Beta encounters it a lot more often as it's capable of initiating turns of its own instead of just following a sharp bend. Sometimes it is indeed more than necessary, and I would guess Tesla is targeting some max-Gs to avoid "aggressive turning" like measured for the safety score. Of course with many other predictions, this could be wrong resulting in too fast of a turn or to slow. I guess we'll see soon if this was improved for you in 10.6.

when they say "17% precision improvements" what are they talking about ?
Assuming predictions are 90%+ then comparisons probably are more of the error change, e.g., 10% error reduced to 9% can be reported as 11% improvement vs 1% absolute percentage point. Of course, measurements can be easily adjusted based on what it's scoped to, e.g., even non-FSD Autopilot successful intersection rate is probably 90%+ if it includes every driveway that Autopilot successfully drives straight past.

Reactions: lolder and EVNow
Couple of obeservations on 10.6 from video below by Locke ...

- Still take a lot of time to turn right from a stop on empty roads. Took 7 seconds below - counting from when the car slowed down to 2 mph and when the car started increasing the speed again.
- But no wild jerking of the steering wheel. This has been improving since 10.1 days.
- Still no turn signal on merge
- Unprotected left looked quicker ... ?

ps : Timed stop sign test here. Was around the same time on 10.5.

Last edited:
Just my opinion -
The external beta testers are really there to collect the corner cases. The engineers that work on FSD use it regularly; as do a host of internal beta testers. Chances are any generalish feedback you’d like to offer is already well-known to the team and reading some long-winded email from us about how we’d like better lane bias or curve handling isn’t an efficient use of their time. What they DO want to hear from you is how FSD failed at that super unique intersection near your house or on a weird blind turn on your commute, and that’s what the snapshot button is for.
I agree .. it's not that they are not aware of these issues (they must be given how obvious some of them are), but they want to get the car to be "safe but rough" before they tackle the rough edges.

Reactions: hellocar