Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 11.3.6 does not understand rural road speed limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest Beta is a great improvement...
However it still misses several suburban regular white with black letter speed limit signs. Dunno why.
Also if a STOP sign on a perpendicular road is not fully 90+ degrees angled an it can "see" it, the car stops, seems to realize its error and continues. On a 35 or 40 MPH thru road this is a bad thing. Obviously I don't let it have its way if someone is behind me.
I just noticed a new, temporary speed limit sign near me that Beta ignores. Only difference I can see is that the sign is smaller than the typical road signs. I wonder if sign size plays a part in visualizing it

• Informative
Reactions: philw1776
It's definitely still using map data. But I think that a physical sign overrides it.

It would be nice if it relied on physically posted signs more. I have a few signs that I pass that the car flat out ignores.

Bad tactic as the car suddenly brakes and swerves going around corners way too fast. Jumps out of auto drive if a car suddenly appears incoming. Not good. Why can't it "use its vision" to decide maybe I should consider slowing down?

Curves are still a weird variable. Sometimes the car slows down appropriately, sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
With either 11.4.2 or 11.3.6 FSDb changed the way it handled speed limits and map data. Prior to this it seemed to read the signs but then default to the limit from the map data at the next node on the map. Now it seems to rely almost exclusively on signs.
impossible. My highways have no signs of 70mph on the ramp to the highway yet my 11.3.6 FSDb goes to 70mph while on the access ramp.

impossible. My highways have no signs of 70mph on the ramp to the highway yet my 11.3.6 FSDb goes to 70mph while on the access ramp.
This. Also pulling from a slower/faster street will (most often?) set the speed limit appropriately.

But without going from one road to another (just go straight) does the set speed limit change without a sign? I regularly pass intersections where the speed limit changes but the sign is 500' further down the road - car only recognizes the change at the sign (apparently vision) instead of where it actually changes (map).

note how I said "almost exclusively," not "exclusively." clearly it must use map data to know what the speed limit is when it turns onto a given road, just like we do. The difference is it doesn't seem to use the map data once it's on the road.

Today on my way home from work FSD missed 2 or 3 speed limit signs and failed to adjust the set speed. In past versions it would adjust the speed limit every time, even when the sign was occluded so the only way for this to occur would've been from the map data. Having said that I've also had some random cases recently where it will adjust the set speed without a sign. Again this must be map data of some sort but it's very sporadic and inconsistent. 🤷‍♂️

I just noticed a new, temporary speed limit sign near me that Beta ignores. Only difference I can see is that the sign is smaller than the typical road signs. I wonder if sign size plays a part in visualizing it
I saw someone post with pictures of "speed limit" signs that their neighborhood had invented. They were complaining that FSDb didn't pay any attention to such signs and there was some discussion about the legality of such signs.
Its difficult to imagine how FSDb can possibly keep track of every single variation of legal speed limit sign while also ignoring the fakes

Reactions: sleepydoc
I saw someone post with pictures of "speed limit" signs that their neighborhood had invented. They were complaining that FSDb didn't pay any attention to such signs and there was some discussion about the legality of such signs.
Its difficult to imagine how FSDb can possibly keep track of every single variation of legal speed limit sign while also ignoring the fakes

There is another video where someone held up some fake signs that were recognized by the car too, in a residential area. It's going to come down to the car having to analyze a visual speed limit sign and determining whether the posted speed "makes sense" based on some other information. For example, if the map data shows 25mph and the car sees a 100mph sign, it might not be a good idea to follow that sign, but a 35mph sign is more reasonable and may be applied even if in error.

Classifying road types in some way can also help set limits.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla moves forward with speed limit data.