Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would disagree with this based on my results. I tested this for about a month and everytime I used AP on the freeway I had an extremely high unsafe following rating. I have the same commute everyday, so fairly consistent tests. Only when I turn it off and stay about twice the distance that AP would normally follow would I get a safe following rating.
Note, I set my following distance to no less than 6 when using AP. Never had a problem with unsafe following. I think if you set it less you might get a ding, not sure. Just be careful going onto freeway. Seems like you are able to get on and off without issue, so just do what you normally do, then when you are comfortable enable AP for the rest of the drive on freeway.

I also use AP to change lanes by using blinker. I never use NOA until I want to take off ramp. I enable it a few hundred feet from off ramp. I find NOA a pain because it always wants to change lanes. So most of my AP miles are with NOA off.

• Informative
Reactions: JimS and pilotSteve
Just got FSD after 5 months of turning the game on/off. I hovered from 100s to 90s. But this week I was between 96-97 when I got the notice for the new software version just Monday morning.

To answer someone's earlier question, this update came as any other normal firmware update. Unlike the end of last year, when you got an email and OTA update via cell data, this one said connect to wifi to get latest. No email no special anything this time.

Note, I set my following distance to no less than 6 when using AP. Never had a problem with unsafe following. I think if you set it less you might get a ding, not sure. Just be careful going onto freeway. Seems like you are able to get on and off without issue, so just do what you normally do, then when you are comfortable enable AP for the rest of the drive on freeway.
Before getting the Beta, my following distance was frequently at 2, and I had no issues sustaining 99. Never got unsafe following regardless of following distance as long as your AP is on. I used to switch on AP as soon as I arrive at Toronto, which is a mess in terms of traffic.

Reactions: xalthe
Just go drive 100 miles with AP. I did it with my 2022 on Sunday and got the update later that night, today I did it with the 2018 and got the update about an hour ago.
Didn't work for my 2019 s lol, drove 149 miles yesterday 99% on autopilot (can confirm at least 80 miles on AP that I intentionally drove, though I use AP for everything just so that it doesn't Ding my score which it somehow still does lol) and I'm sitting at 95 now and nothing

Attachments

• EC4BA539-482B-4B11-B114-9727AA0B4777.png
    EC4BA539-482B-4B11-B114-9727AA0B4777.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 0B557A9D-7664-4081-B4FA-772C6432A071.png
    0B557A9D-7664-4081-B4FA-772C6432A071.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 44
No, it had kicked me out of the fsd beta while super charging so I opted back in no safety score showing in app, opted back out drove the car like it's meant to be driven and then opted back in that night and safety score came back and was completely reset like I never drove the car.... this is so fking annoying, glad I pay for an option just for the car to fk me over from getting it...
Feel ya. It is insulting. Btw driving on AP magnifies your manual driving errors. For example, if you follow closely for a brief moment while disengaged but in AP the rest of the drive, the score only reflects the percentage of time you were following while disengaged and ignores the AP miles. Only way to bring score up is to drive manually more, which is counterproductive to the AP 100 miles requirement. Hope that makes sense. Because nothing really does at Tesla

I also use AP to change lanes by using blinker. I never use NOA until I want to take off ramp. I enable it a few hundred feet from off ramp. I find NOA a pain because it always wants to change lanes. So most of my AP miles are with NOA off.
Unsafe following only recorded when steering manually. If you have 1 mile of manual driving and 1000 on AP, your 0.1 miles of close following counts as 10%!

Feel ya. It is insulting. Btw driving on AP magnifies your manual driving errors. For example, if you follow closely for a brief moment while disengaged but in AP the rest of the drive, the score only reflects the percentage of time you were following while disengaged and ignores the AP miles. Only way to bring score up is to drive manually more, which is counterproductive to the AP 100 miles requirement. Hope that makes sense. Because nothing really does at Tesla
Good to know... still don't understand how I get dinged for pushing the cruise stalk forward at a traffic light lol I wish it would record where the event happened so I at least know what it thinks I did wrong

Reactions: doozenberg
Didn't work for my 2019 s lol, drove 149 miles yesterday 99% on autopilot (can confirm at least 80 miles on AP that I intentionally drove, though I use AP for everything just so that it doesn't Ding my score which it somehow still does lol) and I'm sitting at 95 now and nothing
Sorry. In the same camp with a 100 since 2021. also did a similar long drive yesterday on AP. Really frustrating to wake up to no beta update.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Had a 98 score on my Plaid and got FSD beta yesterday. Tried it on the same corner that the fired Tesla employee's infamous Youtube video showed FSD running over a bollard in downtown San Jose. FSD turned left into an oncoming left turn lane, recognized the problem and jinked right to get out of the wrong lane then tried to drive into those very same bollards; I had to disengage. My wife's M3 has had FSD since Feb and it did the same thing month's ago so Tesla has made no improvements for this particular situation. If I could get my money back that I spent on both FSD upgrades I would do it.

No love here 😞😔😖 safety score of 100, 224 rolling miles. Purchased MYLR 12/28/21, opted in then. Wife’s primary car.

Maintained 99-100, over 2000+ miles. She was losing hope and sanity and opted out 5/20/22, then I opted back in the next day. Since then score of 100, no update. Really upset we opted out as it likely pushed us to the back of the queue, it’s my only explanation as to why we were left out.

So frustrating!
If you are thinking this is a "first come first served" process, then no, it does not work that way.

Reactions: FlyF4
I am about 99% sure it was the AP requirement. My 2022 (98 score) only had 275 total miles in the last 30 days, mostly city driving with no AP, so I am confident it did not meet the requirements. Then after driving around 174 miles yesterday, mostly on AP. I got the notification later that night. About 15 minutes after Tweeting Elon (so I think that part is unlikely :)).
Yes, exactly. I am 100% sure you got it because you drove the 100+ miles AP. :) and by the way, I was hearing about this requirement a few months ago from guys at the GF. And when they were talking about it, 100 miles must be within the last 30 days, thus meaning, people can't just do it once and then never do it again because after 30 days it will roll off. I don't know if that is still the case... maybe yes, maybe no. I haven't been out there in a month. One thing for sure, poor communication from Tesla to folks about the requirement.

Soooo, CONGRATS that you now have it and hope you have a fun time using it with no issues.