Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta lowers safety score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had FSD beta for a few years and love it. I understand that it is not perfect and it's getting better. My biggest complaint is that when I use it, my safety score is terrible due to it closely following cars ahead (despite increasing the gap setting between cars) and suddenly breaking. I'm in Texas and have the Tesla insurance, so when my safety score drops, my insurance premium goes up. So I'm caught in a dilemma: use FSD beta because it's amazing or keep my safety score high and insurance premiums low.

Anyone else notice this trend?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Nope, only when you are manually driving.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.12.13 PM.png

Reactions: APotatoGod
Not sure what you mean by that... "magnified" doesn't make sense. If I drive on 1000 miles, 990 on AP and 10 manually, the 10 miles only count for %0.1 percent of my score. At least that's the theory. If you have evidence otherwise, please present.
As someone who has done the SS dance for a long time...If you drive 300 miles, but 299 on AP, 1 manually but follow too close the for 30 seconds, the only counted drive for distance, braking, etc you were bad for 50% of the time. The 299 miles on AP don't help you or level that out. AP miles don't count for or against Safety Score issues.

There were people in early SS days getting 50s and driving 5 total miles manually with thousands on AP.

As someone who has done the SS dance for a long time...If you drive 300 miles, but 299 on AP, 1 manually but follow too close the for 30 seconds, the only counted drive for distance, braking, etc you were bad for 50% of the time. The 299 miles on AP don't help you or level that out. AP miles don't count for or against Safety Score issues.

There were people in early SS days getting 50s and driving 5 total miles manually with thousands on AP.
This is definitely wrong. The 299 miles on AP are treated as "perfect" miles while the 1 mile you drive following too closely will definitely reduce your score, but it will only reduce it by 1/300 the amount than if you had driven 300 miles while following too closely. I'll say it a different way: miles driven on AP definitely "count"... you can 100% raise your score by simply driving a ton on AP. In fact that is exactly the strategy folks with otherwise awful scores used to get their score up high enough to be let into FSDBeta.

I know what you wrote above feels true, but it isn't true when you actually do the math.

• Disagree
Reactions: legendsk
I haven't qualified for FSD yet, so I can't say. But I can say that my safety score keeps getting dinged because of false collision warnings, also raising my insurance costs. Have turned down the collision warnings to late but it still has had false warnings.

I haven't qualified for FSD yet, so I can't say. But I can say that my safety score keeps getting dinged because of false collision warnings, also raising my insurance costs. Have turned down the collision warnings to late but it still has had false warnings.
All scores no matter what get let into FSDBeta. Just enroll, stop updating mainline builds and wait for FSB beta to push to your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

The safety score on my Y seems to be dependent more on time than mileage. I've posted before that my score went down and insurance premium went up when: I drove 20 miles to town in FSDb / autopilot, (around 25 minutes), waited in a queue at Burger King for 45 minutes, where I couldn't possibly have it in FSDb, with other cars, curbs, walls, etc., close by, then drove home, (another 25 minutes) and the safety score log showed unsafe following 60% of the trip. I maintained 100% score with other insurance systems for years and have been fairly successful at keeping in the high 90's with Tesla as long as I am careful not to get into situations where there is enough stop and go traffic to rack up time. Although the latest SS update cleared my history and score and will apparently start from scratch again with the next drive.

True that's what they say, but it absolutely isn't true for my Tesla 2022 MY. It records a percentage of trip at 0 mpg (parked), with some time in 'P' and some time in 'D' with a fairly accurate % based on clock time, not distance driven.
We need more data here but my understanding is all that’s relevant is miles. Time is completely irrelevant. Please post screenshots that indicate otherwise.

I'll see what it does the next drive, if this continues, I'll be happy to post the score log, but of course currently SS only shows that it will be available after my next drive? I'm pretty sure the history is gone and who can guess what it will show or how it will behave after this last update?