Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would create this thread for those of us just receiving FSD - Beta in June 2022. I just took the car out for a spin for about 25 minutes, and here are some of my experiences:

1) The car drove too fast in my neighborhood. I guess I don't usually drive 25 mph in the neighborhood lol... I think I will tone down the speed offset a little bit while I get used to the FSD.

2) Car does seem too timid (as I've noticed in lots of Youtube videos.) Had to hit the gas a few times to push it along.

3) The car made a bad choice on a protected left turn, where the car in front turned on their turn signal and moved into the turn lane. My Model Y started passing the car and then turned on its turn signal to change lanes. It should have just gotten behind the car.

4) The steering wheel moves around like crazy. Very much not like a person. Not sure why it has to do this when people can drive without crazy steering action.

5) Passed another car in a four-lane road (not a highway) like a boss. When the path was clear, changed lanes quickly, accelerated quickly to pass. Speed changes in general were way better than on normal auto pilot.

6) The car did get uncomfortably close to a curb where a third lane on the right merged into the middle lane. it didn't hit it though, but I felt uncomfortable.

7) Turning into the neighborhood, car slowed down nicely before the turn, just like I would have.

Overall, it was very satistying but a bit nerve racking. I am curious of others' experiences.

Just got the BETA tonight and went for a 20 minute drive in the neighborhood, which was all my nerves could handle. The new visualization on the display is awesome. It's going take a while to get used to the car driving itself. On a wide street, the car stayed very close to the right before making a left turn and I think the guy behind me anticipated that I was planning to turn right and might have tried to pass. It also went into a left turn lane only to drive straight. Some of the turns were too fast for my comfort level and I was scared of hitting the curb. But to be fare to Tesla, if I was out driving with a new driver, I'd have a lot more concerns. I may be one of those people who are only comfortable if I'm doing the driving. So I think it's going to be a matter of trusting the program to not screw up, but of course always be prepared to take over.

To you new folks:

-it will not handle railroad crossings that are raised. It will send you over them at whatever the speed limit is (or whatever you have or set at). I always disengage for these unless you wanna do a sweet jump.

-it will try to pass school busses (with the lights flashing and “stop” signs deployed) busses in general. Be mindful of this.

-it makes lane choices at the last second, and often are incorrect.

…and a bunch of other stuff. Still hugs the center lane marking when going around curves to the right. I enjoyed having it, and you learn where it works well, and when to take over.

Enjoy, be safe/smart!

Just drove 4 trips in my local neighborhood. A lot of detailed graphics showing what is surrounding my car. Very good on suburban streets. Accelerated it along at times. Speed bumps in parking lots it does not slow down for yet. Seems to make right turns closer the curb than I would, but it does so safely. Overall, VERY happy with FSD beta. Amazing technology.

Last edited:
Just drove 4 trips in my local neighborhood. A lot of detailed graphics showing what is surrounding my car. Very good on suburban streets. Accelerated it along at times. Speed bumps in parking lots it does not slow down for yet. Seems to make right turns closer the curb than I would, but it does so safely. Overall, VERY happy with FSD beta. Amazing technology.

always be vigilant with curbs. sometimes it will cut the corner too close and you will get curb rash. disengage to be safe. no need to damage the car just to see if the car would have made it.

I’m amazed so far. But obviously, as many others have said, the car made the worst decision at the worst time a couple of times today. Totally expected, disengaged, and happy to help train the NN.

Question: not a disengagement, but I notice my X accelerates out of left and right turns AGGRESSIVELY. It is noticeable. It’s in the proper lane, it made the turn correctly, etc…it’s just that the acceleration pushes me back in my seat. Anyone else notice that?

Otherwise, an incredible achievement that the Autopilot team should be proud of.

just took first drive today. I noticed it also drives really fast, like it’s got to get to max speed as fast as it can. I think I’ll try put it on chill.

3 times, it swerves suddenly into the next lane for no reason (none that I could see). Once it was going to go into another car; disengaged before I had a chance to find out.

it also changed lanes to get out of the merging lane I think was the message. this was the lane it needed to be in though to take the exit before the freeway started. So it kept going a couple hundred feet not realising it missed the exit. The next direction was to take a left but there was no left to take so it just started to slow down

it seems like it’s more sensitive to resistance on the steering wheel and disengages. All in all, it’s pretty cool and I’m so amazed how it can see all that only with the cameras!

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
I’m amazed so far. But obviously, as many others have said, the car made the worst decision at the worst time a couple of times today. Totally expected, disengaged, and happy to help train the NN.

Question: not a disengagement, but I notice my X accelerates out of left and right turns AGGRESSIVELY. It is noticeable. It’s in the proper lane, it made the turn correctly, etc…it’s just that the acceleration pushes me back in my seat. Anyone else notice that?

Otherwise, an incredible achievement that the Autopilot team should be proud of.
Yes, as some have noted the pedal to the metal rocket from a turn onto a bigger road is back (first appear in I think beta 10.2). It’s nice for us that felt it’s been too slowed down for such turns in recent versions, but yes it’s a bit shocking and inappropriate sometimes.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
Can’t emphasize enough how important it is to disengage/cancel or push the accelerator to egg it on the moment it’s misbehaving that might cause other drivers to react badly or even worse cause a collision/curb rash. FSD beta has been held to limited drivers not because Tesla is wanting some in crowd that feels exclusive, but because it’s still not ready for public consumption and very dangerous. Whether or not we agree with this approach, FSD beta is a limited release to get more feedback in more environments/edge cases. It’s not a customer ready product they provide support for or promise consistent behavior from. It’s a vehicle (haha) for feedback FROM us to help their developers/engineers. That camera button and emailing corresponding reports is what this is for, not for getting responses from Tesla or YouTube views or putting other drivers and your community in unnecessary risk just to see if we can make this trip with zero engagements.

With that said, I find myself constantly engaging FSD beta, keeping my right fingers touching the bottom of the right stalk ready to tap/push up, disengaging at a moment’s notice, tapping the camera button when safe to do so, and reengaging the first moment I can again. I also disengage more when others are in the car, or more traffic around me that would freak out by what the car is doing, etc.

So to summarize, zero progress made and actually regression in many respects. Got it. Back to my statements as always. With the current vision system, Tesla will never achieve self driving. Simple things they can’t get it to perform which my daughters 25k VW can do 4yrs ago. Plus system disabled a itself over minor weather issues. Yeah, no self driving ever. Good update.

Hello everyone. I've had FSD beta since ~October 2021. One thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that the driver monitoring is now ON! No distracted driving or using you cell phone unless you want to start accumulating strikes!

Drive safely everyone!