Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick run to Albertson's to pickup some groceries - 2020.44.10.2 - 24 Nov 2020 - 4:14 - James Locke
Not impressive at all. In a four minute video Mr. Locke had to confirm to AP that it was safe to proceed on a right turn and then felt he had to intervene on a left turn that was going pretty wide into the bike lane. He noted that AP might have been okay and recovered, but that shouldn’t happen on a fairly simple left turn with one of those dotted guidelines to follow. Last turn into the parking lot was impeded by a truck parked right before the parking lot entrance and the driver had to intervene because AP was hesitating due to the truck and he had another car right behind him. Three turns, all three needed human intervention of some sort.

I might just wait for vids from the next update, because the vids from this most recent one have been pretty depressing. Who am I kidding, I’m too obsessed to not watch at least a few. Bright side, lots of room for improvement for the upcoming update Elon mentioned.
What I'm hoping to see in the next beta release is a significant reduction in interventions where the car was going to hit a curb or fail a round about. Problems where the driver believes the car might hit something.
What I'm still expecting and more tolerant of are those situations where a car or truck is in the way or a intervention is needed so as not to inconvenience a driver behind. Once the latter become the vast majority of interventions I could see a release to the next group of beta users. Not wide spread release though but a definite increase in testers.

Reactions: hellocar
It isn’t substantially better, though. It is more capable of doing more things, but at a potential decided loss of safety. At 24:30 of the video in DC, it ignored the road to try to make a turn that wasn’t there, right into a barrier and a curb and grass beyond those two things. I’ve never seen regular AP lose its lane keeping like that. Since regular AP can’t make turns, that isn’t something that you have to really worry about, whereas it is with the FSD beta since regular AP isn’t capable of making turns, while FSD beta is.
I've had regular AP attempt to rapidly JERK me into an adjacent lane with a car on my flank. It does a poor job of lane keeping that the current FSD Beta appears to dramatically improve upon.

Regular AP also SLAMS on brakes if a car is passing in front of you because it has no ability to differentiate that temporary obstruction any differently than if a tree were to suddenly appear in your lane. FSD Beta dramatically improves on this.

Regular AP struggles when lane lines temporarily disappear. It will either frantically brake or swerve dramatically which is unsafe. FSD Beta dramatically improves on this.

It's not about turns as much as it is about the car being significantly more capable of handling normal city driving situations.

Reactions: MrBadger and 82bert
I might just wait for vids from the next update, because the vids from this most recent one have been pretty depressing. Who am I kidding, I’m too obsessed to not watch at least a few. Bright side, lots of room for improvement for the upcoming update Elon mentioned.
I think you and I clearly have two different viewpoints on what is happening. I'm looking for the areas where the car performs better than I would've expected it to because I EXPECT it to make mistakes. You seem to be looking for (almost hoping to see) the times that it makes mistakes without and consideration for all the things that it does well.

Reactions: hellocar and 82bert
I think you and I clearly have two different viewpoints on what is happening. I'm looking for the areas where the car performs better than I would've expected it to because I EXPECT it to make mistakes. You seem to be looking for (almost hoping to see) the times that it makes mistakes without and consideration for all the things that it does well.
It sounds like you might be a very good beta tester. My concern is that if the current beta testers are representative then it may not be safe.
Of course I'm not sure it's possible to make it safe for the average driver.

Hoping to see? I want Tesla to succeed and to have FSD in my car. I ordered it for full price with my car two years back. A good chunk of my portfolio is tied up in Tesla stock. I’m just not going to close my eyes to dangerous flaws. I’m one of the lucky ones who has only experienced phantom braking twice in my two plus years of driving (and I use AP a lot), and both instances were when I had driven from SoCal to El Paso, so I have a very positive experience with AP beyond its penchant to want to change lanes in the middle of a couple of intersections near me. AP is great. And it’s been continually nerfed with more nags because of the careless drivers who treat it as something it’s not, a driver replacement.

I don’t think FSD beta isn’t ready for a general release because I think it would be dangerous for me to use, since I, like you, always have my hands on the wheel and even in those two random times I’ve experienced phantom braking I had my foot on the accelerator overriding within a second and the car never dropped more than 10 miles per hour than my going speed, but because the general public is stupid and a couple of idiots who don’t properly manage the beta will hit someone and get the whole thing pulled. Like it or not, for something that is doing as much as the beta is, it is going to need to be near perfect for a general release or the media and government watchdog agencies are going to be all over Tesla the moment some dumbass let’s his car hit something or worse, someone.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My strange Signal Light obsession and now conjecture. We humans the Signal Light is either On or Off switch. To me it looks like FSD decides and controls EACH individual flash of the Signal Light. For instance in the turn lane of Continuous drive no disengagements - 10:23 - Tesla Owners Silicon Valley video (time stamp 7:20 is a good example) the signal may flash a couple of times then miss a flash, then flash 3x and miss a flash, then flash once and miss 2, etc with no defined on or off pattern. This would also help explain all the 'odd' Signal Light behavior in all videos and something Tesla needs to really work on. Since other humus are watching it should be a more deceive ON or OFF and not all this constant inconstancy.o_O

Test Scenarios on Residential Streets - 2020.44.10.2 - 24 Nov 2020 - 1:48 - James Locke

If I drove through that right now with the current state of AP (the public build, which cannot drive on unmarked roads, so it would just be TACC), my car would constantly be slamming on the brakes if I was even remotely close to those parked vehicles on the right.

There’s a few streets like this near my office, and I have to be in the middle of the road for me to use TACC, otherwise it’s always trying to stop for the parked cars. I don’t even use TACC on scenarios like this anymore.

So, this video is a great improvement to me.

Beta 5 is out:

Some annoying audio issues.

I thought he might have disengaged on that first left too soon, since it looked like the car would have time to make the turn if it proceeded aggressively, but on the second attempt at around 5:10 it was clear he made the right call the first time. Car was creeping slowly onto an unprotected left turn and was having a ton of trouble completing it, creeping at 6 mph (according to the driver, since the speedometer wasn’t in camera view) for way too long on the highway hunting for the lane. That was horribly handled.

The next left turn it handles decently. at 6:50 it handled a similar unprotected left to the first VERY WELL. So not sure what was going on with the first Or second attempts. That last right turn was a bit scary as the driver wasn’t sure if the car was creeping forward for a better view or not, so he hit the brake before the car might have hit an oncoming truck. If it is creeping, Tesla might want to tweak the controls so it does so more slowly and comfortably instead of a sudden jerk forward.

Pretty clear that the new version can’t be trusted to handle unprotected turns onto highways from this vid. I’d like to see him test some other situations like roundabouts and turns onto non-highway streets to see if it handles cars approaching at lower speeds better. I’m assuming the much better improvement and better capability Elon mentioned is for those situations.

Reactions: n.one.one
FSDBeta 5 Two Great Unprotected Left Turns - 2020.44.15.3 - 1:21 - Chuck Cook
This is not a dupe of the video above, it's his 2nd of the day.

‘okay, now that’s more like it! Handled these two lefts amazingly well. Maybe it was having trouble with the lefts because it was night? Handled the left from the first video like a damn champ here.

Reactions: n.one.one